• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I install and run storage heavy games directly from SD card?

namana

Lurker
May 27, 2013
I'm currently researching Android phones that are below $250. So, I found the Samsung Galaxy S Duos which is affordable and matches the specs of some other low range phones. It has around 4GB internal memory and about 1.7GB is user available.

The interesting part of it is, I want to run some storage hungry apps (Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour - 1.9GB; N.O.V.A 3; Asphalt 7: Heat). As some of these apps require more than the available space on the Galaxy S Duos.

Now,

1) Can we install the apps directly on the SD card and run from there?

2) Or understood it all wrong? If I am, then somebody can please explain with utmost ease?

-Bhavesh

If the duos is on android 4.0 or above unfortunately no.

Reason being, since the ics update, Google has restricted us from being able to move apps over to the sd card (external)

We can't move the obb/data files over to the external sd card either as they are only readable from the internal sd card. If you move them over to the external, those games won't see them and will prompt you to download the obb files again.

This is why I'd never buy a device with less than 16gb of storage, heavy gamer here :D

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones