• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I see what is draining my battery?

mutts

Apr 19, 2011
Over the weekend I noticed that my battery life took a sudden and dramatic turn for the worse. After the OTA I could go all day with light web surfing and 4G and still be at 40%-50% by the time I got home. Now suddenly, if I take the phone off the charger I am seeing a 15%-20% drop inside of an hour.

There have been quite a few widgets/apps updated recently so I suspect one of them, but how to tell?

I have a Widgetsoid indicator for my battery and tapping it only tells me in general what is using the power, I'd like to know specifically.

Should I get something like JuiceDefender or is there something built into the phone that can tell me what I need to know?

Thanks

Over the weekend I noticed that my battery life took a sudden and dramatic turn for the worse. After the OTA I could go all day with light web surfing and 4G and still be at 40%-50% by the time I got home. Now suddenly, if I take the phone off the charger I am seeing a 15%-20% drop inside of an hour.

There have been quite a few widgets/apps updated recently so I suspect one of them, but how to tell?

I have a Widgetsoid indicator for my battery and tapping it only tells me in general what is using the power, I'd like to know specifically.

Should I get something like JuiceDefender or is there something built into the phone that can tell me what I need to know?

Thanks

Menu > settings > about phone > battery > battery use

Upvote 0
Thanks Jedii,

It's not quite what I was hoping for though. This is the same information the Widgetsoid indicator gives me:

Display - 87%
Android System - 4%
etc.

What I was hoping for is something that would say:

Go Launcher - xx%
Widgetsoid - yy%
etc.

That way I can tell if I need to uninstall something or whatever.

Upvote 0
Install system panel lite. Go to settings and set it to show cpu time. Go through a day of use then check the app. It will show a time next to every app on the phone in seconds and minutes. This is a measure of how much CPU time an app has used. It's normal for apps you used a lot to have higher numbers. What you want to look for is apps you didn't use at all having numbers higher than a couple seconds. Those are your culprits.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones