• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I sell a published package?

Steven_Rice

Lurker
Oct 27, 2021
I have built and published an app that is a very original idea. But, I cannot put ads in it. But, I have high hopes that I can still make some money with it. So, I wish to ask if it's possible to sell a published package to a different company? Should I try to ask someone at Google?

My friends used to say "Text me when you get home, so we know that you got home safe." That's where I got the idea.

I built the app for automatically sending a text message to your chosen contacts, as soon as you arrive at the entered address.

I originally published it on the Android Market, years ago. Back then, it was called the "GPS Auto Texter" After the Play Store was released, I had to update the app to keep it published. That's when I chose to name it "HereSafe" Everyone I show this to says "Whoa, great idea!" If you are wondering what app I want to sell, you can see it here :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_Localfiveguy.HERESAFE

I believe that you are kind of incorrect about multiple apps that do this already. I don't have a lot of downloads yet, because I don't have any ads for it. Back in the Android market, I think I had over 3,500 downloads. With no advertising at all.

Do you know of any apps that were sold as a package or project?

Upvote 0
I believe that you are kind of incorrect about multiple apps that do this already.
I'm sorry I was brief in my response. I don't necessarily mean apps that do the exact same thing. I actually like apps like this that try to do one thing and do it well, as opposed to having the a feature I want buried among a bunch of less desirable features. Also, since I've been an Android user for an eternity, I can see how this would have been a popular request back in the Market days. :p

Off the top of my head I could think to search for geofencing apps that perform tasks when certain location criteria are met. More advanced apps would be Tasker or Automate that allow for more advanced cause / effect programming such as arrive at a place at a certain time perform the following tasks.

I don't have a lot of downloads yet, because I don't have any ads for it. Back in the Android market, I think I had over 3,500 downloads. With no advertising at all.
You lost the downloads when you rebranded? That sucks. :( I'm not a developer, so I don't know how Play developer console works.
Do you know of any apps that were sold as a package or project?
Off the top of my head, no, but as a mod here we've seen folks soliciting developers looking to sell there apps (they are usually tossed as they act like spammers and gut treated as such :mad: ).

Really, all I was getting at is that it is possible, but may not be as fruitful as you hope. That said, I wish you the best of luck and I hope I'm wrong. :)

Upvote 0
I'm sorry I was brief in my response. I don't necessarily mean apps that do the exact same thing. I actually like apps like this that try to do one thing and do it well, as opposed to having the a feature I want buried among a bunch of less desirable features. Also, since I've been an Android user for an eternity, I can see how this would have been a popular request back in the Market days. :p

Off the top of my head I could think to search for geofencing apps that perform tasks when certain location criteria are met. More advanced apps would be Tasker or Automate that allow for more advanced cause / effect programming such as arrive at a place at a certain time perform the following tasks.

You lost the downloads when you rebranded? That sucks. :( I'm not a developer, so I don't know how Play developer console works.

Off the top of my head, no, but as a mod here we've seen folks soliciting developers looking to sell there apps (they are usually tossed as they act like spammers and gut treated as such :mad: ).

Really, all I was getting at is that it is possible, but may not be as fruitful as you hope. That said, I wish you the best of luck and I hope I'm wrong. :)

Thanks for the response and the well wishes. It does suck that I have to start over with the amount of downloads that this app has. But, due to the Google Play Store policy changes, the app was removed from the Play Store unwillingly. I had to make some big changes to the app to get it published with the new name. I still hope it catches the eye of someone who runs a big company.
Call me crazy. But, I imagined that "maybe even Google might want to purchase the idea."

Mr Unforgiven, do you work for Google? This is not a sales pitch. But, if you show it to some coworkers, they will say "Yeah, that is a great idea!"

Upvote 0
Mr Unforgiven, do you work for Google? This is not a sales pitch. But, if you show it to some coworkers, they will say "Yeah, that is a great idea!"
I don't have any affiliation with Google or any Android operation. Like all members here, I'm just a volunteer enthusiast helping others. As a moderator I simply give a little extra time to keep the forum clean and organized. :)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones