• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can not update to 2.2.2 FRG83G

VMF

Lurker
Mar 23, 2011
i have a rooted droid. a week ago i got the over the air frg83g update. i clicked install, after reboot the boot loader loaded, i selected "allow update.zip install" and then "install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated). after successful install and reboot it was still 2.2.1. i suspect that its still that update.zip that i put there when i rooted the phone
now my question is, how do i update to 2.2.2 in this case? is this update worth it? do i really need it?

Thank You in advance.

i have a rooted droid. a week ago i got the over the air frg83g update. i clicked install, after reboot the boot loader loaded, i selected "allow update.zip install" and then "install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated). after successful install and reboot it was still 2.2.1. i suspect that its still that update.zip that i put there when i rooted the phone
now my question is, how do i update to 2.2.2 in this case? is this update worth it? do i really need it?

Thank You in advance.

I found the update under /cache labeled as 5932ba328825.signed-voles-FRG83G-from-FRG83D.5932ba32.zip.

I don't know if you can apply it using the boot loader method, but I would guess it is possible.

Upvote 0

Thank You in advance.
Just for the readers, your phone did NOT "reboot the boot loader". There is a big difference between bootloader and recovery. Please don't take this as an attack, I just want to keep the n00by confusion down.

What really happened is your phone booted into your recovery, in this case you have the custom SirPsychoSRecovery (SPR) and SP Recovery did what it always does, acts like it installs the update (if it actually did install you would have lost root) so that your phone will stop nagging your to update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones