1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can the S2 be "overcharged"?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by (G), Nov 24, 2011.

1. (G)

(G) Android Expert

I'm sitting here with my new S2 on the USB cable to my computer. Suddenly it went "BLING!" and a message came on the screen: "Fully charged. Remove the charger."

Now I'm wondering: what if I don't? Is it possible to OVER charge the battery? And how can I start out the day with a fresh battery if I can't charge it overnight?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. digipixel

digipixel Lurker

Same thing with the LG Optimus One! I have an LG Optimus One P500h and when I had it on it said: "Remove charger to save energy." So yes, I assume you could do slight damage if you kept it charging.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I don't believe that the phone will damage the battery. Just think about all the times that we plug up the phone prior before going to sleep. If that's the case we'd have to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug the charging cable.

4. SGS2

SGS2 Well-Known Member

jayc is right.

i believe i read somewhere it automatically stops charging/shuts off the charger/stops accepting further charging when @ 100%.

otherwise, the battery would be overcharged and eventually over a few months, start to leak, which only happened on motorola clam phones i had 3 or 4 years ago. these newer chargers are smarter and i believe even have a chip in them. i believe the "fully charged" indicator is just to tell us the phone is fully charged, as opposed to warning us to unplug the charger.

5. (G)

(G) Android Expert

I tend to agree. But it just surprised me when it DID say, "remove the charger" rather than "YOU CAN remove the charger."

6. Puddin422

Puddin422 Android Expert

Used to do the same thing on my Epic. I never set an alarm for the middle of the night to unplug it. ;)

7. babykenny

babykenny Lurker

It's not about the battery,it's more of a green thing. A plugged in charger consumes a small amount of energy from the wall even when the battery is fully charged.

8. n7plus1

n7plus1 Member

no, you cant do any damage...its Li-Ion, not NmH

Nismo4Life07 likes this.
  9. dwykofka

dwykofka Member

When you phone reaches 100% it does not stop charging, it stops accepting power until it needs more juice then it opens the circuit again and tops off.

Otherwise your phone would be at 85-90% when you wake up in the morning.

10. Here's a tip for that most people don't know. Your cell phone never get's 100% charged. It's more like 90-95%, so no it won't damage your phone. It only charges it that much for that specific reason of not ruining the battery.

11. bb88

bb88 Lurker

I'm not sure if the AT&T and Sprint S2 are different, but I left my phone plugged to the charger, and the next day the battery became fat and bloated. Called Sprint, and they told me the S2 has issue with overcharging, and ask me not to overcharge it again.

12. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If your battery has swollen, you must stop using it immediately as it is a fire hazard. It could have been a bad battery to begin with or the charging system in the phone is faulty. Overcharging a phone should not be possible as there is circuitry in place prevent that.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews