• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can we please stop the useless notifications please

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
I have asked multiple times to find some way to have me stop getting notifications like ''you have reached level 31'' but apparently nobody cares. i only want to get notified about replies, likes, mentioned in comments, etc. I swear it infuriates me to see the little notification bell light up only to find it's another useless notification. I have no setting to turn that crap off and it's making me angry to the point I am about to destroy the laptop. NO OTHER FORUM DOES THIS. I don't even know why that notification exists.

Upvote 0
I went into my account then preferences - there 585,197 check boxes but all the way down are the ones to turn those off. It seems to have stopped them, or I'm just not important enough to get them anymore :D
Screenshot_20231202-164520.png

Upvote 0
That might be the only one of the new achievement notifications I don't see a way to turn off.

Have you gone to your preferences page and turned off the alerts? Looks like the bottom 3. The "You earn an achievement for the first time" might turn that off, not sure.

Also gone to the achievement page and clicked all the bells to turn off alerts?

Upvote 0
I tend to just click on notifications when I arrive, it takes a second to scan to see whether there is anything like a quote of a post in there, and then I'm done. If I was getting emails about these then I'd have a problem (especially since I've never allowed email notifications from any forum), but as it is I find them easy to ignore (and "ignore" is my response, especially since I've no idea what it means - some measure of activity I assume, but no idea what).

So I guess this means that turning off the "achieved something for the first time" notification doesn't stop the "level" notifications? That was the one that looked most likely to me.

Upvote 0
I leave a browser open to the site when the computer is idle. Whenever I refresh it shows a little number badge, my instinct (since every other forum I'm on also has notifications) is to see if it's a reply, like, etc. It's ALWAYS a stupid 'you have reache level xx' crap. It irks me to no end as I find the notification system convenient instead of looking for every darned thread one by one to check for replies. It breaks my flow. I'm used to things being as they have been for a long time and no other forum does this crap. It's a recent thing so it was part of whatever changes y'all are doing, and there is ZERO setting to disable those particular alerts. It's not an achievement as I got achievement notifications off already. It's something an admin has to fix. I keep asking but get made fun of with 'old man yells at cloud' memes. I am sick of futurists trying to force their will on people who prefer things the old way. I don't tell you how to live YOUR life.

I don't tolerate change well. Once everything is as I like it, once I've built up habits that work for me, I don't want to adapt to changes. It was not broke before. But all I get is rudeness from some of the admins here.

A lot of times the response is 'just get used to it'. No. I cannot get used to something I hate. Because I hate it. I am sure I could get used to living next to sewage treatment plant if one were built next to my home, but does that make it acceptable? Hell no.

Look, I love tech, I have a Galaxy Watch 6 for crying out loud. I'm not opposed to some modern tech. I just don't blindly accept ALL modern stuff as I prefer old school stuff more. If I want I can swap to a mechanical watch. But I cannot get the notifications the way I like them here. Just because I don't like something that is 'new' doesn't mean I must give up all things and return to the 19th century, although that's always the assumption. Hate smartphones and what they have done to people and society? well you must go back to horses and buggies. Good lord....Because the obvious result of hating one modern thing is giving all technological progress because that ALWAYS makes sense...

I don't even know what purpose those level notifications serve. From my end they serve NO practical or useful purpose. My life isn't so empty that I need bragging rights about how often I post. IS that how bad society has become?

Last edited:
Reactions: Madd65
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones