• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot access sd card to install new android version

pezla

Lurker
Dec 1, 2012
Hello,

It's a long time since I was here so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

In brief, I have a Samsung Tab 2 GT-P3110 tablet which was running android 4.2.2. It's main use was as a controller for my sonos sound system which no longer supports my device. I thought I'd try and update it rather than simply chuck it into landfill for no good reason other than it was old like me! I know almost nothing about what I am doing, sorry!

So far I have I think 'rooted' the device using something called odin, and installed the clockwork recovery mod. I have also installed the Samsung drivers onto my PC and I have on my pc a zipped file which I believe will install a newer version of android. Unfortunately I am unable to see my tablet's sd card (or anything to do with the tablet) connected to my pc via USB in order to copy it. Moreover I have copied the same file to a micro sd card but when I put this directly into the tablet and try and boot off the external card I get an access error and the card is not read.

I am out of ideas now and wonder if one of you clever people might be able to help me? I think I read somewhere about having to switch on USB debugging and USB sharing or the like BEFORE rooting. The instructions I used only mentioned the former and so that's all I did. Maybe I've locked myself out for good.

Thanks in advance for your help, appreciate it. Pezla

All I can do is send sympathy. I had to give away a perfectly good Samsung tablet with Android 8 because my sound system (Roon) wasn't truly compatible and needed more RAM.

But I don't have any skill with rooting, etc.

Android tablets and phones are some of the worst examples of planned obsolescence I've seen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones