• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cannot Boot Into Recovery Mode (Optimus V)

GKNByNW

Nov 17, 2011
North By Northwest
I've just rooted my Optimus V by following the HOW-TO guide at the top of this forum. GingerBreak went perfectly and I didn't have to wait long at all, In fact, the whole GingerBreak took about 2 1/2 minutes from start to finish, including reboot. After that, everything went fine until I reached Step 7...

When I try to boot into Recovery Mode, the LG logo comes up for a second or so and then after that I get nothing but a black screen. (Backlight is on, just nothing displayed on the screen.) My phone isn't bricked because if I pull the battery I can reboot normally and everything works fine. Even though the how-to says not to use ROM Manager for anything after flashing the recovery image, I actually went back and tried reflashing. I've even used the "Reboot into Recovery" button in ROM Manager, to no avail. Any suggestions here would be very welcome at this point.

Also, I'm just curious as to why the HOW-TO post says not to use ROM Manager after flashing the recovery image. If I can't find a way to get my phone into Recovery Mode, should I go ahead and use ROM Manager to attempt the backup and ROM install?

Thanks for the tip. With a little Google-ing, I was able to download and flash the xionia recovery. However, I am now stuck on Step 9 of the How-To guide, "9. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe cache partition, & under Advanced Settings, Wipe dalvik-cache, then format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard."

How do I go about formatting all partitions? In the Advanced and Debugging Menu, the only options I see are as follows:

- Reboot back into Recovery
- Fix Recovery Boot Loop
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Wipe Battery Stats
- LG-Style Factory Wipe
- Report Error
- Key Test
- Partition SD Card
- Fic Permissions

I am thinking I need to go to "Partition SD Card" but I am afraid of losing the data I have stored on the card. Any advice here would be great. My phone is currently connected to USB and in the Recovery Mode, so a quick reply from anyone would be great LOL

As always, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Aside from some battery issues (covered in another thread started by myself) all is great with the new ROM. Using just the "stock" settings built in to BACKside, my phone is noticeably faster than stock, with none of the stupid lag that I got every time I ran low on memory. Before, I had to pull my battery at least once a day, sometimes 3 or 4 times, and reboot. Since I rooted and installed Gingerbread, I haven't had to pull the battery a single time. That right there is worth the time I put into researching and learning how to root.

And the best part of it is, if a different ROM comes along that I want to try I already know how :) :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones