• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't access SD Card while charging

Bobkaron

Lurker
Jun 25, 2010
Since doing the OTA Froyo update on my Incredible I can not access the SD card when charging.
I have gone into Settings > Connect to PC and default connection is set to Charging only.
I have tried it with "Ask Me" both checked and unchecked, pulled the battery, etc.
When connecting power it doesn't ask anyway as it knows it's power and not a computer connection.
But as soon as any charger (have multiple chargers) is connected the sd card is unmounted. Unplugging power shows the sd card remounting.
It's a big probably because if you want to let's say listen to a podcast or music on the sd card, I cant charge the phone at the same time.
Any ideas would be great appreciated.
Thanks!

Nope, that doesn't work for me. I think this is a pretty significant problem. I like to listen to podcasts as I fall asleep, and its annoying that I have to make sure not to fall asleep without plugging my phone in to charge (because I can't listen to podcasts with the phone plugged in).

Is anyone else having this problem since upgrading and does anyone have a solution?

Upvote 0
I too am having the same problem. When I connect with USB - no phone storage or SD card on Win 7 PC, only a drive called "CD Drive F: Verizon Wireless". Also not asked on Incredible how to connect to the PC.

I think this started happening after Rooting (but no new ROM).

I tried a different cable with same results. Thanks.

It sounds like you are defaulting to charge only. You may have accidently hit "don't ask again"

Go into Settings > Connect to PC > and make sure ask me is checked.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue using the stock 2.2 rom (unrooted).
When charging through car charger or wall charger, I would lose access to my SD card.

In the end it got solved by doing the following:
- plugged it into my PC and switched to Disc drive mode
- waited for it to mount on the PC
- Accessed a couple of files from the PC just to check
- Switch phone back to charge only mode (wait for notification bar to display "preparing sd card" message)
- Launched a music player to to check access to music on SD card while plugged in (just trying a file manager to browse your SD would also work).
- Unplugged phone.
Now SD card remains accessible whenplugged into wall charger.

You probably don't need to do the checks. Just flipping it to Disc Drive mode and back (waiting for it to mount correctly both times) should do the trick.

Hope this help you guys out.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue using the stock 2.2 rom (unrooted).
When charging through car charger or wall charger, I would lose access to my SD card.

In the end it got solved by doing the following:
- plugged it into my PC and switched to Disc drive mode
- waited for it to mount on the PC
- Accessed a couple of files from the PC just to check
- Switch phone back to charge only mode (wait for notification bar to display "preparing sd card" message)
- Launched a music player to to check access to music on SD card while plugged in (just trying a file manager to browse your SD would also work).
- Unplugged phone.
Now SD card remains accessible whenplugged into wall charger.

You probably don't need to do the checks. Just flipping it to Disc Drive mode and back (waiting for it to mount correctly both times) should do the trick.

Hope this help you guys out.

I was just about to post asking about this as made my first journey with it today and had the same problem. Thank You.

One other charging related query. Once during the journey I got a message saying the it was getting as much juice as it was consuming. Is this a common thing or have I picked up a duff charger?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones