• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Afford a Dud

Phases

NO LONGER ADMIN
Sep 9, 2008
Nashville, TN
Google Mobile Chief Can't Afford A Dud In Android

Just read this article.

I'm torn what to do. I love my Voyager, but I really want to jump on Android as soon as it releases - especially if "Success hinges on the reception of the first Android-based handset, due out Sept. 23, according to Google executive Andy Rubin." is true. I've looked forward to Android and want it to be a success.

But lord knows what it'll cost me to terminate my Verizon contract and purchase the Dream. And then I'd be stuck with T-Mobile's network.... right?

I don't want to start a carrier war discussion, but if it's true that T-Mobile has a 6 month exclusive on it, it won't help much. T-Mobile just isn't a big enough player and there isn't enough hype to get people to port over to them.

So if the 6 month exclusive is true, don't expect to see many people carrying one. The Dream is a huge phone and the OS is geared to those less geeky than than OpenMoko but geekier than most iPhone users.

I'm guessing the Android phones will grow like Windows Mobile did. Slow at first and grow as it matures. Apple blew off the whole corporate market by not having Exchange integration. Will Google make the same mistake? I'm guessing YES at first since there has been no announcement from Microsoft.

[NOTE: This is all regarding the Dream in the U.S.]

-Mc

Upvote 0
I heard the "exclusive" timeframe was 3 months. And TBH I don't think it even exists... I just think that other carrier/manufacturer combos couldn't get their projects finished in time so the 3 month window naturally created itself.

As for Microsoft Exchange support I think thats the beauty of Android. Its an OPEN system so there SHOULD be a way to put that functionality onto the phone.

That being said I don't think the HTC Dream is targeting the "business world". But thats another beautiful factor of Android... while the Dream might target consumers, another handset that is completely different could come out that specifically targets businesses.

Upvote 0
Oh god u guys get ****ed over in the states with ur networks. In Europe i think you have to stay with a network for maybe 6 months to a year (on pay as you go, not sure about billing), and then u can just ring them up and inform them that ur ditching them for another network (if you wish) and they can't do a tap about it! I happen to be with my network for 3 years so i don't jump around but i could if i wanted to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones