• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't get the 2g or 3g away from wi fi

A

Android Question

My son has an unlocked GSM My Saga phone and he can't connect to the internet when he's away from wi fi. The phone description said the mobile data should kick on when not around wi fi but it doesn't. He also can't get picture messages from people. We reset the phone several times as our carrier is Straight Talk. The rep even stayed on with us for an hour and a half and we can't get it it work??

1) Straight Talk "reps" aren't tech support. Go to their Facebook page for tech support.

2) Make sure the APN settings are correct for the carrier the phone is on. (It's either AT&T or TMobile. "Unlocked" just means that it will work on either.)

3) MySaga appears to be one of those Chinese "no-name" phones, so I can't find any specs on it. It may not have 3G capability, or it may not have the frequencies that the carrier you're using needs for data.

Oh - the picture part of a message is 3G/4G only, you can't do it by wifi. That's why that part isn't working.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones