• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't receive calls from VOIP...

umwhat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2013
Hey guys....
I am on Virgin Mobile, using a Samsung Victory 4G LTE. I can make calls to anyone, send and receive texts and receive calls from most landlines.
However, it seems as though I cannot receive calls from landlines if they are a VOIP client (Ooma, Atlantic Broadband, etc.)

What's up with that?

Anyone have or hear about this problem before?
Customer service has been absolutely no help as they simply want me to take the battery out of my phone and then put it back in.

I have been trying to Google this issue and one person from the UK said that it was Virgin Mobile's policy not to accept calls from VOIP. It seems that would be a deal breaker to too many people though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Hey guys....
I am on Virgin Mobile, using a Samsung Victory 4G LTE. I can make calls to anyone, send and receive texts and receive calls from most landlines.
However, it seems as though I cannot receive calls from landlines if they are a VOIP client (Ooma, Atlantic Broadband, etc.)

What's up with that?

Anyone have or hear about this problem before?
Customer service has been absolutely no help as they simply want me to take the battery out of my phone and then put it back in.

I have been trying to Google this issue and one person from the UK said that it was Virgin Mobile's policy not to accept calls from VOIP. It seems that would be a deal breaker to too many people though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

I don't think you can count on what a person from the UK says about Virgin Mobile, as they are likely talking about Virgin Mobile UK. Every country has their own "version" of Virgin Mobile.

When I had Virgin Mobile, I never had any problem with receiving VoIP calls. In fact, Sprint and Google Voice have a special agreement. Unfortunately, while that doesn't extend to Virgin Mobile, it does tend to show that the Sprint network doesn't have issues with VoIP calls.

Upvote 0

I don't understand a landline is a landline. Do you mean you can't receive a call if the call comes from a VOIP service like Ooma.

If so then something is wrong, did you set up some kind of blocking services or something.

Because your Virgin Mobile number should be able to receive calls from services like; Skype, Magic Jack, Google Voice. Those are just the few that I've tried myself.

If you have Laptop and it has a Mic, log into Gmail, sign into chat, click on "Call Phone" phone and dial your Virgin mobile number if it does not ring, then you got a problem, LOL.

wzg1.png

I would ask some higher level of tech support here or at Virgin Mobile, because your phone is not accepting phone calls.

Upvote 0
Some VOIP providers do not provide real phone numbers to customers.
If the individual(s) attempting to call you only has a VOIP number and not a real U.S. number that could be the source of the issue.

Just a FYI VOIP used to be a very for profit business and most VOIP providers still require money to call to real phone numbers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones