• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't transfer Files...

T

theog72

Hi I'm having an issue like some of the other posters in here. I have my Ascend rooted and then I used rom manager and link2sd to partition my sd card and take the apps off of the internal phone memory where they are normally stored and put them on my sd card. Well, it was working great everything was fine until I went to reboot my phone and not backing up my files so somehow now my computer wont bring up the transfer file box that usually prompts when you plug in usb cable to your phone.
I have tried everything suggested on here and nothing works. I have tried unmounting the sd card, restoring computer to a restore point when everything was working, taking the sd card out the with the phone plugged in and putting sd card back in. I can get it to show a removable disk drive but when I click on it, it just says" not recognized". All of my drivers are up to date. Im running windows vista basic 32 bit. If someone has a clue as to what to do please comment. Everything else on the phone works fine. I think it has something to do with the partitioned sd card.
I just don't know if there is even a way to get it to work again. Maybe I will have to try a new rom? I can use another computer to save files to sd card and then load that into my phone so maybe that is the answer?

Hi I'm having an issue like some of the other posters in here. I have my Ascend rooted and then I used rom manager and link2sd to partition my sd card and take the apps off of the internal phone memory where they are normally stored and put them on my sd card. Well, it was working great everything was fine until I went to reboot my phone and not backing up my files so somehow now my computer wont bring up the transfer file box that usually prompts when you plug in usb cable to your phone.
I have tried everything suggested on here and nothing works. I have tried unmounting the sd card, restoring computer to a restore point when everything was working, taking the sd card out the with the phone plugged in and putting sd card back in. I can get it to show a removable disk drive but when I click on it, it just says" not recognized". All of my drivers are up to date. Im running windows vista basic 32 bit. If someone has a clue as to what to do please comment. Everything else on the phone works fine. I think it has something to do with the partitioned sd card.
I just don't know if there is even a way to get it to work again. Maybe I will have to try a new rom? I can use another computer to save files to sd card and then load that into my phone so maybe that is the answer?

Are you pulling down the status bar and enabling usb storage?

Upvote 0
Yes I have pulled down the status bar and tried everything both on and off just to double check to make sure there wasnt something I turned on/off by accident. I pull it down and it lets me mount the sd card for file transfer like its ready to do it but then when click on my computer to access the drive ( because the box no longer shows when usb cable is initially plugged in) it just says drive not recognized.

Upvote 0
I think I made the first one 512 mb then the second one only 64 mb. Is there anyway you know of to change this back? Am I screwed now because I thought I could just simply do a hard reset back to stock and it would be okay. Well, I'm still having the same issue.

Upvote 0
Since you are running the stock rom try this.
1. Format the card in the SD section of the settings menu.
2. Check with your computer to see if it will see it and try a test transfer.
3. Turn off phone.
4. Boot into CWM (Vol up + Send and tap Power).
5. Advanced > Partition SD Card 512 is good for the partition (I used 1G, but I have an 8G card) and for the second (SWAP) use 0. Phone developers don't use it.
6. Reboot system.
Check with computer again. You should be good to go.

Make sure your SD card is fully inserted. Some people use the tip of a pen. That can give you some weird issues if it isn't properly inserted.
Let us know if this works or which step it fails on.

Upvote 0
I have clockwork mod already installed but it will ask you for two partitions I believe. I didn't do anything drastic like making it the whole sd card but it would make sense as to why it wont find it. So with Clockwork mod what should I set the second partition to? I think normally it is at 32 and I bumped it up to 64.

Upvote 0
I did everything step by step. I tried reformatting the sd card in settings then re connecting to my computer and it still didn't work. The I shut the phone off and did the volume up, send and tap power to get into CWM recovery and put the first partition at 512 and the second at zero then went back to reboot system let it do its thing then plugged it back into my laptop and nothing. It still shows the drive as a removable disk drive but when I click on it, still says not recognized.

Upvote 0
I did everything step by step. I tried reformatting the sd card in settings then re connecting to my computer and it still didn't work. The I shut the phone off and did the volume up, send and tap power to get into CWM recovery and put the first partition at 512 and the second at zero then went back to reboot system let it do its thing then plugged it back into my laptop and nothing. It still shows the drive as a removable disk drive but when I click on it, still says not recognized.

use 0 for swap... and try reinstalling the usb drivers: http://www.mediafire.com/?6kx9fga3g172w8j

Upvote 0
I already did that....I set the swap to 0 and the drivers were just installed before I did all of this :) still isnt working

retry the drivers i had a similar prob the first time i install the drivers, but i uninstall it and reinstall it and no more problems since...and with win 7 uac can cause problems also with proggy trying to access the computer, turn it off and restart computer than try again.

Upvote 0
I just thought of removing drivers and then re installing them. Which I just now did. Then I rebooted my computer and it still isn't working. When I plug in the usb it says all the drivers and everything are loaded and running fine but the Prompt Box from Huawei never comes up and when I click on the disk drive for the device still saying "not recognized". Frustrating. Someone on here said that windows cant read the new partiton when you make one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones