• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant use nexus 7 with rooted Lg Esteem hotspot?

nypdauxx

Mar 20, 2012
I usually use a program for hotspot tethering on my rooted lg esteem, usually open garden etc my laptop finds it in the list and connects, but for some reason the nexus 7 doesnt pick it up , does not show up under available networks. Any ideas anyone? im always on the go so it would be great to be able to use my hotspot witht he nexus.

That's because Android doesn't support connecting to ad hoc networks (which is what an app like Open Garden creates). I would try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether&feature=search_result. You may be able to set it up in infrastructure mode which would fix your problem

EDIT: This is your answer along with the above.

Google doesn't have one. But there is a wifi tether on the code.google.com site. Just go to settings change device to optimus m and setup to softap

Upvote 0
I tried out Open Garden today and it worked between my Nexus and LG phone. Make sure both your tablet and phone have the app installed. Reboot your phone. I found that if I used the program on my phone, closed it, and then tried to open it again and use it again, it wouldn't work. I always had to reboot it before the Nexus could see it.

edited to add: I forgot to say that Open Garden utilizes the Bluetooth in order to do this. However, soon they will introduce a way to connect the Wi-Fi direct.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones