• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Capturing contact information

mpt1123

Lurker
Apr 22, 2019
Hello:
I'm helping the local museum with their Contacts DB. Right now everyone that visits the museum signs a paper 'log' with their contact info. Quite often it is illegible. Anyone know of a solution that we could use to capture and store a visitor's info? I was thinking of using a tablet with a basic contact info front end but since many of the visitors are seniors something even simpler would be best. Maybe an app using voice recognition or a QCR that the user could scan that would extract info from their phone (yes, they may be seniors but they all have phones !). Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I think your assumption that all seniors have smartphones (and know how to use them) isn't realistic.
... plus it's a 'convenient' bias to ignore all the people who just don't even own a mobile phone. That can include a really wide range of the population -- could be a funding issue, could be a matter where some intentionally opt not to tie their lives around them. But whatever the case, if this museum bases its admission on a) owning a smartphone and b) having to allow personal contact info to leak out of their phones, that will be something of a drastic filter on attendees. Personally if encountered this kind of situation, I'd just turn around and go elsewhere as I'd find A to be puzzling but B to be a no-deal issue.
Anyway, that legibility issue is a major stumbling block. I think using something like a tablet is the next best option though. It's not perfect solution but there isn't one, there a just too many facets to people in general. What about having volunteers or interns manually type in attendee contact info at the entrance(s)?

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones