• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Dock Discussion Thread

I would suggest checking out universal mounts on Crutchfield since you can always return it for a full refund (less shipping of course) within 30 days. The guys there have always helped me out.

That being said, I use a pro-fit (Pro.Fit International - Vehicle mounting solution for mobile electronics) vehicle mounting bracket that is specific to my car. I've bolted it to the frame of the dash and currently have a universal holder from when I used my Ipaq.

I've tried brackettron stuff, and I've always thought they felt cheaply built and have broken a few. The pro-fit I have, while still plastic and universal, feels better built and more sturdy IMO.

Either way, don't go with no-name stuff or you'll never be able to change your window mount for a beanbag, cup holder, heater vent, etc other types of mounts.

Upvote 0
I was planning on using this cup mount for my Incredible. It got great reviews on Amazon.
mCup Macally Peripherals
mcup_p.jpg
I hope you wont be using this for GPS navigation.

Upvote 0
One thing that kind of sucks is the fact that the Car app doesn't work in landscape from what I've seen. I was kind of hoping there was a magent set-up like the DROID, but apparently it doesn't have it. Can anyone confirm that the car app doesn't work in landscape?

I must've missed this. What is it that keeps getting referred to as the Car App?

Upvote 0
One thing that kind of sucks is the fact that the Car app doesn't work in landscape from what I've seen. I was kind of hoping there was a magent set-up like the DROID, but apparently it doesn't have it. Can anyone confirm that the car app doesn't work in landscape?

I was under the impression that it worked fine in landscape? IT wouldn't make any sense for it to not....

Upvote 0
Windshield mounts are illegal here in California, and since I like my phone a little lower (about steering level height) the vent is a perfect place to mount it. I had an extra Sirius vent mount laying around, so I zip-tied an old, extra belt clip to it (using black zip ties)... from the holster/belt clip combos with the quick release.

Then I simply remove the phone from my belt and snap it on to the modified clip on the vent. Great for GPS navigation and simply having access to the phone while driving. Did this with my Voyager and EnV Touch and don't see why it won't work with the DI. Just an idea...

Upvote 0
Windshield mounts are illegal here in California, and since I like my phone a little lower (about steering level height) the vent is a perfect place to mount it. I had an extra Sirius vent mount laying around, so I zip-tied an old, extra belt clip to it (using black zip ties)... from the holster/belt clip combos with the quick release.

Then I simply remove the phone from my belt and snap it on to the modified clip on the vent. Great for GPS navigation and simply having access to the phone while driving. Did this with my Voyager and EnV Touch and don't see why it won't work with the DI. Just an idea...

Actually,The Windshield mount law was changed in California about 1 year ago though the locations aren't the greatest

CVC 26708.12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

Upvote 0
Actually,The Windshield mount law was changed in California about 1 year ago though the locations aren't the greatest

CVC 26708.12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info... but like you said the positioning is pretty bad. I like having my phone next to the Sirius unit, because everything is right there below the radio, and if I want to play audio from my phone I can plug it into the Sirius unit. Simply personal preference.

Upvote 0
It really boggles the mind that they don't make a car dock like the Nexus One's available for the Incredible.

I mean seriously, it would be HUGE to be able to actually replace my garmin with my phone. However, that won't happen if I have to fiddle with unplugging and plugging in the phone, manually rotating it to landscape, not having built in charging and speakers, etc. I just want to snap it into the dock and navigate.

With the power of google navigation, a good car dock would be a MAJOR selling point. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be hanging on to my garmin for a while longer..

Upvote 0
That is correct. The Incredible doesn't have the magnetic spots on the back like the Droid does, that is how it auto-launches the Car Home app.

I'm glad it doesnt.... I dont know about the rest of you but I hated that everytime I sat my Droid into the OEM Car Dock it automatically went into "Car Mode". I had to press the "Home" icon in car mode like 10x everytime I was in the car to get to an application, or audio file. If they wanted a good car mode they should have included an Audio player in the car mode icons to access music, or at least a customizable one where I could put my most used car programs in order.. Good riddens to car mode...

Reactions: Incredible_Nat
Upvote 0
What I really want is a Mount that fits the Incredible precisely, and has the easy rotation capability of the Motorola Droid mount:
Car Mount for DROID by Motorola - Motorola USA

The regular car dock sold at Verizons store fits what you're looking for.

I went in there today to take a look at it and to test fit my phone. I had heard that it also doubles as a case which was a huge plus for me. I need a case and a car dock and assumed that any car docks made for the Inc. wouldn't be able to mount w/ already attached.

With the Incredibles car dock, the case is more like a clip. The phone clips in with a snap but doesn't feel all that secure to me.

Not sure if all this made sense. I wish I had taken a picture of everything before I returned it. I ended up getting a Verizon slider case/belt clip combo. But I'm going to return this as well and get the Body Glove instead and made that to a grip style car dock. This will allow me to have a full rugged case that will fit a car dock.

PS: The car app does NOT go into landscape mode.

Upvote 0
I see absolutely no point in buying anything for my car that doesn't have pass through charging. It would be a pain in the butt to have to plug it in every time I put it in a cradle. I can see a valid argument for not going to car mode directly, especially since HTC's car panel leaves a lot to be desired. I'm thinking of getting locale and seeing if I can have it switch scenes to a car specific scene when it gets plugged in to a charge that isn't at home, or maybe just hunting down the stock car app from the Droid.

Reactions: paynomind
Upvote 0
That's pretty weak... I used my Moto droid for navigation all the time in landscape mode.. Y=This may end up being a deal breaker.

Well the actual navigation map still goes into landscape I believe, it's just the "car Panel" launcher that doesn't. I can't believe Google Maps wouldn't work in landscape when it does on even my touch pro 2 running a hacked version of android.

Reactions: odiej34
Upvote 0
That is correct. The Incredible doesn't have the magnetic spots on the back like the Droid does, that is how it auto-launches the Car Home app.

I ordered the windshield mount for my phone and it is on its way. It is a window mount BUT ALSO a holster. So you use it on your belt all day and than can drop it on the windshield mount while in the holster! 2 for 1!!

Viperboy, thanks for all the good info u share here....

This windshield mount.....I can't find it on vzw site? Where did u get it? How much? thx

oh, and it this a good buy for an extended battery?

Upvote 0

I ordered the windshield mount for my phone and it is on its way. It is a window mount BUT ALSO a holster. So you use it on your belt all day and than can drop it on the windshield mount while in the holster! 2 for 1!!

There are other ways around this, but all would require some hardware in the docks.

Upvote 0
I see absolutely no point in buying anything for my car that doesn't have pass through charging. It would be a pain in the butt to have to plug it in every time I put it in a cradle. I can see a valid argument for not going to car mode directly, especially since HTC's car panel leaves a lot to be desired. I'm thinking of getting locale and seeing if I can have it switch scenes to a car specific scene when it gets plugged in to a charge that isn't at home, or maybe just hunting down the stock car app from the Droid.

TOTALLY agree. I dont want something to HOLD my phone in the car, i want something to hold and CHARGE my phone in the car.

Car mode is not of interest to me, but charging is essential. Hope to hear that one is released soon.

Upvote 0
May I offer some advice? I've had the Motorola Droid for 30 days now (just returned it to the VZW store about 4 hours ago...FedEx should be here soon). I always put my Droid in the car mount everytime I drive somewhere. Love it! But the worst thing about the Droid car mount is that it switches the phone into Car Home. I hate that. Absolutely a royal pain in the arse. I am constantly pressing the home button to get to contacts or phone dialer or Pandora etc. But the home button doesn't take me to the home screen...no, it takes me to the car home app where I have to press the car home on-screen home icon. Trust me, it sucks.

Another thing...GPS navigation is actually much more useful in portrait than in landscape. I tried it both ways several times before switching to portrait permanently. In portrait you get an extended view of what's ahead of you instead of what's beside you. Doesn't that make sense? Plus, in landscape when a call comes in or you switch to another app, everything is sideways.

One more thing, I do wish that the windshield mount would charge the phone, but I have no use for a built in speaker. If your car is new enough to have an auxiliary jack on the stereo, buy a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo cord for $3. Pandora, Slacker, GPS, and calls all sound great coming out of your car's speakers.

Finally, as somebody else already posted, Viperboy....please post again and let me know how to order 2 windshield mounts and 2 docking stations. Please!

Upvote 0
Something I noticed looking at the 3d model of the Nexus One, there are 4 contacts at the bottom of the phone that I assume are used for charging when it is docked.

The Incredible only has 1 contact which probably means any "docked charging" capability would have to utilize the micro usb port. Not horrible, but also not quite as easy to use if you have to line the port up exactly when dropping it in the dock. Considering the usb port on my Blackberry died after a year and a half, I'd be worried about the added stress there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones