• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Dock Discussion Thread

I can verify that you can NOT fit the phone in the OEM dock with the silicon (or any) case. I bought the dock about 2 hours ago and thought it was nice, but I just picked up the silicone case, and I'm now returning the dock. No way I'll be taking the case off, so it's time for my original idea...the Soundgate M2. Hopefully this works out cause I really want to get this mounted soon.

Where did you buy the dock?

Upvote 0
I can highly recommend ProClip Mounts (ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts)... expensive, but worth it IMO. Had an email reply from them to say they are working on the Incredible Mount, no ETA. I'll hold out for one, hopefully with pass-through.

I highly recommend Proclip. I have been using since my BB8830 days.

Picasa Web Albums - GOBLUE - ProClipUSA In...

I opted for the ADJUSTABLE phone part as I always get new cell phones. I have used this for BB8830, BBSTORM, BBTOUR, DROID and now INCREDIBLE. However the pics above are from my CX7, but just picked up my 2010 CX9 last week. I do not like the location Proclip chose for the CX9 so I am looking at this:

Pro.Fit International - Vehicle mounting solution for mobile electronics

Which honestly looks TIGHT! Trying to figure out, how to take my adjutable part from PorClip and use with that.

Upvote 0
Where did you buy the dock?

BJ's Wholesale Club has a Verizon store in it. They had more accessories than Best Buy and my local Verizon store combined. If I wasn't so in love with the silicone case I'd keep it. Here's a thread with a few pics of an N1 mounted to an M2. I really like that you can use this with any case you want.

Car Mount: Soundgate M2 quick review w/ pics - xda-developers

Here's another person using the M2 with an N1. Just seems so simple compared to the others.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/48702-car-mount.html

Upvote 0
BJ's Wholesale Club has a Verizon store in it. They had more accessories than Best Buy and my local Verizon store combined. If I wasn't so in love with the silicone case I'd keep it. Here's a thread with a few pics of an N1 mounted to an M2. I really like that you can use this with any case you want.

Car Mount: Soundgate M2 quick review w/ pics - xda-developers

Here's another person using the M2 with an N1. Just seems so simple compared to the others.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/48702-car-mount.html

Wow...that one looks pretty sweet. Have you picked it up? It works nice? Can you use the phone in landscape mode as well? (I know the car panel won't work...but the navigation will)

Does anyone know of an alternate Car Panel App? That will work in Landscape?

Upvote 0
Just ordered it. Was waiting to see if the silicone case was going to be strong enough to support the phone before ordering. Most reviews are positive on it though. And you can mount the phone in landscape mode, depends on how you attach the disc to the back of your phone. No rotate though, so you only get one option. I prefer portrait for GPS, so I don't know about the last question.

Upvote 0
I'll definitely post up a few pics once I get this setup. I actually setup the oem dock in the left corner today and it wasn't too bad, but I think I'm moving this back the middle right.

As far as long cables, I just picked up a 10ft micro usb from monoprice for under $2. lol Plug that into the RocketFish usb adapter and your all set.

Rocketfish™ - USB Vehicle Power Adapter - Black - RF-M357

Upvote 0
I already have one of those. Lighter to USB. The thing is... and I have been playing with using the GPS with it to be sure..

They only give out the same amount of power as a computer's USB. They give some juice - so you last longer - but you will still be using more power than you are taking in.

I don't think that happens with an actual car adapter. And me personally... I'll get an OEM one. As much as I have insurance - I'd rather not have to use it. Would rather not send too much power accidentally.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I meant will the disc spin 90 degrees while attached to the phone...so you can turn it while its in the mount (in case you start in car panel mode - hit navigation - and then want it in landscape mode).

How does the disc attach?
The above replies to this can be misleading. The 'disc' is just a provided permanent suction-able plate (stick it on once in one vehicle) to provide a window-slick surface for the unit's main suction cup. It's only needed of you don't already have a window or an slick-as-glass surface for the suction cup. I have used these type suction cups on the smooth wood grain of my old Mercedes. Garmin and everyone that provides a 'windshield mount kit' for their products provide one of these 'alternative' stick on plates.

Unrelated to all that, yes, once the whole unit is suctioned to whatever, the last point movable connection just behind the phone is a very swivel able ball/socket connection. In addition, the actual phone clip has a belt clip on the back, and that clip also swivels +/- 90

Upvote 0
$30 is list. I got it for $18 and change at a VZW store on 29th, was out of stock, shipped free to my door, arrived yesterday.

How did you manage to get it for $18? If I can somehow get it at that price point I would definitely keep it. I believe VZW stores are running a 25% off accessories sale but I was told that it only applies if you buy more than one accessory. Can anyone else confirm this?

Upvote 0
Because it's such a perfect fit, would you say that an Incredible with the VZ "hard" silicone case won't fit in unless the case is taken off? The case is great - and I certainly need it, especially since I opted against insurance. But, it's not the easiest thing to get on/take off. So much so, that I need a dock that will accept the phone with the case.

What do you think? Will it work, or too tight of a fit?

Hmmm, really tought to tell. It's a good, perfect fit for the DI, but the holster seems flexible enough that it might be able to fit w/ a silicone case...sorry I can't be more helpful - I'd say try to find it in the store and actually try to fit it w/ the case on.

Upvote 0
Here is my recession dock =)
I had some scrap wood laying around, and was bored last night, so I decided to make my own cup-holder car dock. I still need to cut a hole for the usb cable and paint it black. It shoult work fine for my needs. I'll try to remember to post a completed picture wit it in the car once I am finished.
Incredible%20dock.jpg

Upvote 0
just an FYI, the Arkon universal mounts fit the Incredible PERFECTLY. the side don't block the USB charging port and they also don't touch the volume buttons. perfect fit.

i just got my "SM425-S - Universal Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Seat Bolt or Floor Mounting". installation was a breeze and it works very nicely.

here are some pics:

2010-05-05%2014.08.26.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.09.28.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.10.18.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.10.04.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.11.46.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.14.35.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.08.46.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.08.36.jpg

if you don't like the seat mounting bolt style, Arkon also offers a standard windshield mount, cup holder mount, and vent mount. all of which use the same phone cradle.

these pics were taken with my Moto Droid by the way.

Reactions: crkohl
Upvote 0
I tried this one first...

But didn't care for it because of 2 things. First, my vol up/dw buttons were always on the screen. Secondly, it was too difficult to use the phone (noti panel) w/ those big jaws in the way. The solution? Cave in to the man!

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

I got it for 25% off in the store so it came to $22 bucks. I think online orders get discounts too, but I didn't see it on the site yet. The mount has lots of swivel joints and feels very secure. It also doubles as a holster so you can take your Incredible w/ you if your in clothes wo/ pockets or just like to show up the iPhone world w/ your red and black awesomeness. :D

The fact that I can't really use a case (or lose convenience) sucks. But I get to use it wo/ a case which IMO does actually feel better. I also am allowed the light weight and smaller formfactor in my pocket. And of course I have insurance for that time it does frisbee off my waist into a pile of soup at the local pub.

I bought this one yesterday, installed it, and I love it. All the cables fit in it perfectly, the friction mountings are serated, so they wont slip, and it holds the phone closer to me, so I can click my nav/inbox without taking my hand off the wheel.

Thx for your recomendation.

I'll replace this with a DOCK if one is released, but this is a great holder.

Upvote 0
just an FYI, the Arkon universal mounts fit the Incredible PERFECTLY. the side don't block the USB charging port and they also don't touch the volume buttons. perfect fit.

i just got my "SM425-S - Universal Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Seat Bolt or Floor Mounting". installation was a breeze and it works very nicely.

here are some pics:

2010-05-05%2014.08.26.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.09.28.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.10.18.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.10.04.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.11.46.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.14.35.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.08.46.jpg

2010-05-05%2014.08.36.jpg

if you don't like the seat mounting bolt style, Arkon also offers a standard windshield mount, cup holder mount, and vent mount. all of which use the same phone cradle.

Very Nice, will look into it. This may be exactly what I am looking for. Here is the website.

</title><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html

Upvote 0
The above replies to this can be misleading. The 'disc' is just a provided permanent suction-able plate (stick it on once in one vehicle) to provide a window-slick surface for the unit's main suction cup. It's only needed of you don't already have a window or an slick-as-glass surface for the suction cup. I have used these type suction cups on the smooth wood grain of my old Mercedes. Garmin and everyone that provides a 'windshield mount kit' for their products provide one of these 'alternative' stick on plates.

Unrelated to all that, yes, once the whole unit is suctioned to whatever, the last point movable connection just behind the phone is a very swivel able ball/socket connection. In addition, the actual phone clip has a belt clip on the back, and that clip also swivels +/- 90

Upvote 0
yeah, what he said.....Advice to all: go and check it out at the VZW store. The HTC dock is a perfect fit IMO.

As far as those docks that sit low...and u have to look down (to check the navigation for example) is dangerous.

the Nav speaks to you, so why would you need to constantly be looking at it? just set it and listen for the turn by turn directions.

also, when i had my droid i had the verizon windshield mount. the sun coming in would make it get waaaaay hotter than i liked. i don't want to do that to this phone.

Upvote 0
the Nav speaks to you, so why would you need to constantly be looking at it? just set it and listen for the turn by turn directions.

also, when i had my droid i had the verizon windshield mount. the sun coming in would make it get waaaaay hotter than i liked. i don't want to do that to this phone.

i guess I just like to see what my next turn will be:) and that blue arrow is so cool-lookin' :D

DIdock.JPG

Upvote 0

here are some pics:

~~ PICS REMOVED FOR THE SAKE OF OTHERS ~~

It's great to hear that the Arkon mount works. I bought the one that you didn't mention, which is the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter with attached microUSB charging cord.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones