• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Mount Review

jordonshaw

Jul 13, 2010
I just got my Droid X today and have been thinking about the car mount. If you have one, can you tell me how you like it, what real benefit do you get from it, and where did you buy yours and for how much? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth the purchase.

Thanks,
Jordon

I got the mount as well. Very nice so far. Just beware misinformation on the internet. I noticed alot of people saying it doesnt work with cases. I initially almost cancelled my case order because of it but then though what the heck, I'll just take it off. It turns out there is an insert (that's very hard to tell is even attached if you arent looking for it) that when removed, allows you to install the phone with a silicone case on it. Finding that out made the mount that much better.

Reactions: thegekko
Upvote 0
I posted this in the official accessories thread, but it seems appropriate to post here.

Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid X, Droid, and Devour

nmazr6.jpg

YouTube - Motorola Droid X Mount | Arkon Mega Grip Car Mounts and Holder for Droid X

I like how you can use this mount with a case / skin or without, and it swivels to landscape for GPS mode. I like the vent mount option, but they also have a lot of others, like suction cup, cig lighter, etc. Cheaper than the official dock, too.

Reactions: masked and kwest12
Upvote 0
One question: why the hell are the "side grip arms" so effin huge? I may buy this and slice those suckers down to size if it won't hurt the integrity of the mount.

They kinda look like a phase of the moon... except since the moon doesn't have a phase that looks exactly like that I'm gonna create a new phase: I'll call it the dumb@$$ waning gibbous... or perhaps the whining gibberish.

Upvote 0
Love, Love, Love it. You can use other mounts but you'll need to set up a magnet for it to switch automatically to car mode (you can do it manually of course). Works great, sturdy on my windshield. Phone is easy to plug in and remove. Works with a case if you do a tiny bit of modifying (seriously it is a little bit of plastic that has to be removed for it to work with a case that helps the insert stay in place). All in all well worth it, IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones