• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier Feature Question

PSXBatou

Feb 5, 2011
California & Tokyo
I have the Unlimited Smart Phone HSPA+ thing that rolled over from my iPhone 4. I noticed in my menus tethering is greyed out, just as it was on my iPhone 4 since AT&T had to authorize the phone for it and then you could select it. However I am noticing that I can open, activate, and what seems like use the WiFi hotspot on my phone. None of the check boxes are greyed out like with tethering.

Would I be charge "pay per use" data if I were to use this and actually let a device pull off the hotspot, or for some odd reason is it activated with my 4G unlimited plan?

It just seems very not AT&T, since they tend to lock down everything that your account does not have access to like they do with the greyed out tethering button.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones