1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[CDMA] HTC Root Method Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdbrumsey, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

Noob Question.

I'm new to android and this is my first time rooting a phone...I successfully unlocked bootloader and flashed TWRP using flashboot. When i try to boot recovery it just boots the phone like normal. I tried then reflashing recovery with TWRP and same result...then CWM. Still will not boot into recovery. I want to flash SU however i'm not able to get into recovery to do it. What am I missing?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

when you installed recovery from fastboot, did you use adb? did you get any errors?

3. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

I did not use adb... I did not get errors. Should I have used adb?

4. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

how did you flash recovery in fastboot?

5. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

it may be some work, but look at the second sticky.

6. jlear3

jlear3 Member

add cwm-4.0.4-shooter.img (the recovery) to the same folder as adb.exe

open command, cd C:\ your adb file

Mine is C:\root evo

boot your phone to bootloader (vol down + power) vol down to fastboot, power to select

plug in your phone to pc via usb.. phone should now read fastboot usb

in cmd.exe type fastboot device should say something like HT1xxxxxxxxx fastboot

Now type fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.1-shooter.img into cmd

should say
    "sending 'recovery' (4832 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.162s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 10.191s]
    finished. total time: 11.354s"

follow above post, much more detailed than mine :)

7. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

now, if you dont have sdk installed and are installing it for the first time, adb will be in the platform tools folder and fastboot command will be inh the tools folder.
    Here is what i did. I installed android sdk to the root of my c drive. i renamed android sdk to android. I merged platform tools and tools folder.

when i do this,
    c:\users\myname> cd c:\android\tools
    c:\android\tools>

now i am in the directory of adb and fastboot commands.

you need to look for yourself where all is located depending on the version of sdk you have

8. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

^^I did exactly that. I guess I didn't understand that that was using adb. I had the feedback messages come back with OK also. Seemed successful, however when I select recovery in bootloader it just boots the phone.

9. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

turn off fastboot under power settings. power off phone, pull battery for 60 seconds. power on phone to bootloader using volume down and power, then try again to boot into recovery

10. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

^no luck.

What it's doing is showing the HTC splash screen momentarily like it would go into recovery and then the screen goes black then the splash screen again followed by normal boot. It's almost like it's trying to load recovery, failing, and then booting .

11. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

did you verify the checksum of your files? aslo did you try different versions of cwm? you may have downloaded bad files

try this one:
    http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recoveries/cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img

md5 : 296b356378f70d963081ad07a1507ff0

12. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

Can I just keep flashing over top of the previous one? Or do I have to delete the old one somehow?

13. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

14. jdbrumsey

jdbrumsey Lurker

Redoing it with cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img worked

4.0.1.5 wouldn't for some reason...didn't do the check sum...it's working now so that's good enough for me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

15. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Do a Nandroid now, and then once done, download Rom Manager, and then flash the recovery again, that will give you the latest, it should work and you should be up to date.

16. wake69

wake69 Android Expert

Need to make a mental note, cwm 2.4 for htc root method

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews