• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Will running the stock RUU UNROOT my phone

johnny124

Apr 23, 2010
Chicago Area
Which RUU did you try running? It would have to be the Ice Cream Sandwich RUU because you will not be able to go backward in software with s-on. Also, since you are s-on, the bootloader does have to be relocked to run the RUU. I don't know why super user would cause a boot loop... I have not heard of this before.

Check your bootloader and make sure it is ****RELOCKED****

If not get into fastboot with adb reboot bootloader then run command fastboot oem lock

Download this RUU: Shipped ROMs

Get the phone into fastboot usb mode either by connecting to the pc and using adb reboot bootloader or manually get into your bootloader by doing a battery pull and then holding volume down+power. Then select fastboot. When plugged into the pc you should see FASTBOOT USB

When in fastboot usb, run that RUU and follow the instructions it includes like disabling HTC sync, screen saver, etc...

If you want to try getting rooted again after the RUU, you can unlock the bootloader again with the same unlock token you already have.

You will need a custom recovery, I would suggest 4ext recovery, especially being s-on. Flash that through fastboot after unlocking with fastboot flash recovery 4ext_recovery.img

Then I would download a fresh copy of SuperSU.
Get that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
and download the one named CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip

Flash Super su through recovery and you should be rooted on the stock rom! Good luck! ;)

Will running the stock RUU UNROOT my phone? If so, I don't remember the token or the method I used to root it in the first place. Can you please clarify what token to re-root you are referring to and how. I am really looking to S-OFF to but a little concerned being a noob at this stuff. Thanks guys

Will running the stock RUU UNROOT my phone? If so, I don't remember the token or the method I used to root it in the first place. Can you please clarify what token to re-root you are referring to and how. I am really looking to S-OFF to but a little concerned being a noob at this stuff. Thanks guys

When you unlock the bootloader through HTCdev they send you a file called Unlock_code.bin

You flash that to the pone through fastboot with the command (i think) fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

If you still have your unlock token you can just use it again to unlock without having to use fastboot oem get_identifier_token and sending that code to HTCdev again.

When you s-off it will return your bootloader to LOCKED

Scotty just made a flashable file that you flash through recovery that will lock or unlock the bootloader with a quick flash. S-off required, but that is much simpler if you s-off and want to unlock again.

Reactions: johnny124
Upvote 0
When you unlock the bootloader through HTCdev they send you a file called Unlock_code.bin

You flash that to the pone through fastboot with the command (i think) fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

If you still have your unlock token you can just use it again to unlock without having to use fastboot oem get_identifier_token and sending that code to HTCdev again.

When you s-off it will return your bootloader to LOCKED

Scotty just made a flashable file that you flash through recovery that will lock or unlock the bootloader with a quick flash. S-off required, but that is much simpler if you s-off and want to unlock again.
I think I found it under HTC. It says this:
Recovery.img
Unlock_code.bin
So I flash that to my phone with fastboot with those commands? I might be over my head with the S-off thing but I think I am going to try.

Upvote 0
I think I found it under HTC. It says this:
Recovery.img
Unlock_code.bin
So I flash that to my phone with fastboot with those commands? I might be over my head with the S-off thing but I think I am going to try.

You are probably already unlocked since you are rooted. You just need to be on the stock rom and unlocked to do the wire trick!

Upvote 0
You are probably already unlocked since you are rooted. You just need to be on the stock rom and unlocked to do the wire trick!

OK, I am getting close but where can I find the stock ROM???? Will that one you posted above work with 1.5 S-On unlocked? Sorry if these are dumb questions just don't want to bork this. Thanks

Upvote 0
OK, I am getting close but where can I find the stock ROM???? Will that one you posted above work with 1.5 S-On unlocked? Sorry if these are dumb questions just don't want to bork this. Thanks

You can run the RUU yes, the one I posted would work for you. But then after running you have to re-root the phone.

Unlock
Flash Recovery
Flash SuperSU

They suggest running the RUU but I don't see why you can't just flash the stock rom. It's a lot easier.

Find the stock rom here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420206&highlight=stock

I would download the one named: Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip since you are on hboot 1.5 so that you won't hit any bootloops.

Just do a full wipe and flash in recovery like you would with any rom.

Upvote 0
Thanks you, I wish there was a way for us to pay you guys back for all your time and advice. I am going to give S-OFF a try...Cross your fingers.
*EDIT*wouldn't flash it just kept rebooting. Might have to RUU or just stay S-ON undecided and frustrated. The only thing that is stopping me right now is getting back to stock ROM.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones