• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Chagne Display name on Hotmail account on ICS?

FreeRangers

Jun 25, 2012
Let's say my email is FreeRangers (@) hotmail.com when I send an email the recipient sees the sender as Freerangers. On Gingerbread I was able to change this so that the display name didn't show Freerangers, but showed whatever I wanted it to (John, for example). On ICS I have my hotmail account set up as an exchange account (because that is the only way I could delete emails form my phone and they would also get deleted form Hotmail's servers). But I also tried just setting up hot mail as a normal hotmail account, but I still can't change the display name.

Did some digging and it turns out that you can't change the display name on the device. There must be something weird with Samsung because with my HTC One X it would send emails from my proper display name and with the S3 it sends as the email address account name.. Wish I could get this solved, very frustrating.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had the same problem and discovered 2 solutions / work arounds.
(I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2.)

The problem you mention (not being able to change the Display Name) appears when using Samsung Social Hub if you set the hotmail, gmail, or other email-account as a premium account.

The 2 solutions / work arounds are:
* use Samsung Social Hub and DON'T set your e-mail (hotmail, gmail, etc) as a premium account. You lose 'push' functionality. This does not apply to "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync" e-mail.
* use the hotmail (or gmail) app.

These aren't the only strange things on Samsung (Galaxy) smart phones. But that's for another topic.

Upvote 0
In case anyone's still interested, here's the real solution:
You need a rooted phone and a SQL-Editor installed on it.

Navigate to /data/data/com.android.email/databases/EmailProvider.db. Select the Account-table and search for the column "sender name". Here you can edit the value to nearly anything you want. Save, exit, stop the email-app via settings and launch it again.

It works not only on ICS but also on JB...

Upvote 0
It is there, at least if you created an account within the app in the first place.

3ubuqara.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks ThatOneRearEnd but when I navigate to the folder /data/data/com.android.email/databases it says that it is empty. I can't find EmailProvider.db anywhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Any luck with this... I have the same problem and it is kind of anoying...solutions? My phone is not rooted...so I guess that is why i cannot access EmailProvider.db....answers pleaseeee!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones