• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change the order contact numbers are displayed when texting

Marnhullman

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I'm a noob and have just posted this in the Apps forum by mistake - apologies.

Many of my contacts have several phone numbers e.g. home, work and mobile. I have set the mobile numbers as default but when I click on the pencil icon to create a new message I have to scroll down to select the mobile number. Is there a way to display the mobile numbers at the top of each contacts list of numbers?

I have a similar question. I would like to have only mobile numbers show up when I am in the texting app. I have no desire to text something to someone's email address. I only want to see the mobile numbers.

I do know that Handcent messaging app will do this very thing (it is an option). It seems like this should be possible in the stock messaging application. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

Upvote 0
I did find a solution that can help. To initiate a text go to contacts, find the person of interest and left swipe to send them a text. It will address a text to the default number for that contact. Just make sure that the default numbers in your contacts are the mobile numbers.

This solution is good enough for me not to seek another or use handcent.

Hope this helps someone else as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones