• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

changing default homescreen on a timer

freekrob

Lurker
Oct 23, 2014
I'm currently using a Samsung Note II. I have separate homescreens set up for different instances, ie one for work, one for home, one for music, etc. I was hoping there's an app (or a way) to set a timer to change the default home screen. So on a weekday at 600 my 'work' homescreen would automatically become the default so I could see my SNote shortcut and work task calendar. Then come 1600 the default homescreen would automatically change to my home screen where I can have access to my home calendar, reddit shortcut, etc. and at 2200 it would change to my music/alarm homescreen for sleep.

Thanks for your opinions!

I'm starting to feel like I should be getting a commission from the makers of Tasker.
If you need to automate almost anything Tasker is your answer. It has a steep learning curve but once you get it WOW! It also has a very strong support base.
It can automate almost anything based on time, conditions, or location.
Take a look here for the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&hl=en
Take a look here for some ideas on what it can do: Tasker - Android Forums

Upvote 0
I had seen that yesterday and thought it may be able to do that but was weary of the learning curve, mostly because if I scratch the surface I'm likely to burn lots and lots of time trying to figure more out.

I read some apps like Llama and SettingProfiles would act like Tasker but was unable to find settings to do what I wanted.

Thanks for your advice, johnny_w. I'll look into Tasker a bit more.

Upvote 0
I ran setting profiles for a long time for the same reason. I finally upgraded my original Droid to a Galaxy S4 and setting profiles just wasn't cutting it anymore.
I have Tasker set to:
Car mode: Turn off wifi, start GPS, start hands free mode, crank volumes, disable screen timeout, and launch Waze.
Reminder: If I miss a text, hangouts message, or call beep every minute until I turn the screen on.
GPS apps: Start the GPS whenever I start the apps I've listed.
Sleep Time: Turn off all notifications except phone calls, dim screen from 11:00 P.M. until 8:00 A.M. if the phone is plugged in.
Battery Low: If the battery get's below 20% kill wifi, dim screen, kill GPS, and enter power saving mode.

There are a lot of pre-made tasks you can download and tutorials on how to do what you want. It is an investment in time to learn but I think it's worth it.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones