• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Changing email address associated with phone

Phenomenological

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2010
Ok, I want to change the email address the phone is set up to. But I have a niggling suspicion doing so requires a factory reset. First things first, please tell me if that's wrong and I'll be happy.

If however I'm right, What's the best way to go about saving everything? If I download a backup program, will it store all my settings, apps etc or just data on the SD card? And will changing the email address bugger something up and stop me from restoring the backup? I wouldn't put it past google.

Thanks in advance. :)

There are a lot of people that have said the only way to do this is by hard resetting the phone, but when I had trouble with my phone initially (I kept changing between gmail & googlemail addresses because I thought I had a problem accessing certain things), I found that I could reset the e-mail by pulling the SIM card.

Hopefully this might work, but failing that, I guess you will need to hard reset by holding down the Volume down button while booting and select 'Clear Storage' from the menu.

As regards backup I have only ever really backed up my SMS messages in the past using the following:

SMS Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain

Most of my other stuff is held in the cloud, so I'm never too bothered about contacts etc. Pics & Music are stored on the SD, so no worries there.

Hope this helps,

G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones