• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chargers and Brands?

I have read that a generic charger can damage a cellphone. Is this possible damage only a matter of build quality of the charger, or is it a phone <-> charger compatibility issue?

So basically I'm asking do I need a motorola charger to charge a motorola phone safely, or could I use an HTC charger for example, as long as it fits?

On a related note:
I recently had a smartphone that came with a generic charger, whenever the charger was plugged in the touchscreen had issue with being over-sensetive, like if I pressed "1" on the dial pad, it might hit 3 other buttons not even near it. Could this due to the charger being "broken", if not, what is likely to be the culprit? When I used a USB cable the issue did not occur.

Thanks

Hopefully this helps. I have come across quite a few different phones & it seems as long as you have a micro usb charger you are good & I have never seen a phone damaged - but with anything maybe another forum member could chime in.

I think where damage can happen is if you get one of those piece of ^&^& chargers with the cable attached - while I have never seen one damage a phone I have suspected they could cause damage.

I feel that as long as you use a usb cable, and a charging brick so long as the build is ok it shouldnt damage the phone.

Hope this at least helps a little....

Caleb

Upvote 0
... So basically I'm asking do I need a motorola charger to charge a motorola phone safely, or could I use an HTC charger for example, as long as it fits? ...
USB chargers (output 5V), brand or generic, doesn't any harm on a smart phone :)

The phone/tablet limits the amount of amperage needed.
So the charger's ability of amperage could be bigger than the phone's/tablet's needing, but should not less.
So, if the chargers have enough output amperage, you'd use the HTC and the Motorola charger on your phone.

Generic chargers might just charge the phone slowly.
But slow charging causes no harm, it's just slow ;) , takes twice the time.
You'd look at Settings, Power, Battery status ... "Charging USB" means slow charging and "Charging AC" means rapid charging.

About slow and rapid charging: How does the phone/tablet know that it can charge in "AC" mode?
It "looks" for jumpered data pins :)
Most phone producers (also HTC and Motorola) follows the recommendation of USB standards for USB chargers ... they jump the data pins of their modified chargers for to bring the phone in 'AC charging' mode, means rapid charging with high amperage.

With generic chargers this modificaton with jumpered pins is rare feature to find.

Wikipedia: Jumpered data pins on USB chargers

Harry

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Thanks for your answers :)

I am concerned now though about what Caleb L said about chargers with the cord attached.

I've already ordered a motorola charger designed for my phone and it DOES have the cord attached.. Does anyone else have more information about whether they are particulary bad and why?

If the charger with the cord attached is a USB charger (5V), has enough amperage (1A or more) and has a microUSB plug for connecting the phone, you'd use it.

I think, Caleb L means these chargers that came with the old phones. Most of them have not enough amperage and have miniUSB connectors. And adapters miniUSB to microUSB could cause trouble.

Harry

Upvote 0
If the charger with the cord attached is a USB charger (5V), has enough amperage (1A or more) and has a microUSB plug for connecting the phone, you'd use it.

I think, Caleb L means these chargers that came with the old phones. Most of them have not enough amperage and have miniUSB connectors. And adapters miniUSB to microUSB could cause trouble.

Harry

Hello Harry,
Is this the kind you're talking about that should be good:
New Original Motorola 5 Feet Long Cord Micro USB Home Wall AC Travel Charger | eBay

Also, do you think the touchscreen issues might have been caused by a generic charger being underpowered? I also heard a buzzing noise through the speakers/headphone while i was charging it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If I had to buy a charger for a Motorola phone, I'd not buy from that site, to be honest (lurid description but no specs).
And I'd not use such a long thin cord for charging.

But if you've already ordered and the charger is really a Motorola, you might try it. Specs should printed on the charger and should show output 5V/1A (1A or more).

With that screen issue with a generic charger I can only guess because I haven't heard yet from such an issue.
Cheap/defect power supplies have ripples on their output voltage that could bother electronic circuits.

Harry

Upvote 0
I've always used my motorola, samsung, and HTC chargers interchangeably with no issue. Phones have lasted well beyond the warranty and phone plan period, so really, any damage done will not be noticeable unless you plan on using your phone for like a decade or something without upgrading.

Upvote 0
I'm traveling overseas and need a way to charge my Motorola RAZR M. Instead of buying a 220/110v power converter, I was wondering if I could get a UK USB wall plug and useit with my micro USB cable?

Yes, this is going to work :)

But have a look at your RAZR M charger ... you'll see that its input voltage range is 100V to 240V, that is going to work worldwide :)
You'll just need a simple adapter that adapts the mechanical pin layout of the power plug.

Harry

Upvote 0
Yes, this is going to work :)

But have a look at your RAZR M charger ... you'll see that its input voltage range is 100V to 240V, that is going to work worldwide :)
You'll just need a simple adapter that adapts the mechanical pin layout of the power plug.

Harry

Harry, so the charger would be able to handle the 220 voltage and bump it down to 5v before it gets to the phone. If I got a UK USB plug, would it do the same thing.

Upvote 0
Harry, so the charger would be able to bump handle the 220 voltage and bump it down before it gets to the phone. It doesn't seem that just replacing the plug would do the same thing.
See, your actual charger has input 100-240V and , for the phone, output 5V (USB). An UK charger has the same specs. Means both charger can handle the US voltage of 110V and the UK voltage of 220V.
Only the charger's pins for the wall power outlet have a different layout.
So, you'd use your actual charger with pin adapter on a UK wall power outlet, an adapter like that ... http://www.world-import.com/WSS405.htm

Edit: Make sure that your actual charger shows this input voltage range of 100-240V.
If you don't find that spec on your charger then buy an UK charger.

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones