• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging connected USB device

I don't know why it says that. There is nothing connected to it right now, not even a charger. It also says USB is controlled by a connected device. I wanted to switch it, but it said it couldn't. I noticed that the choices are all gray. Thank goodness it's set to file transfer because I know about those crashes when maybe data could be recovered but not without it. I hope everybody's having a happy Thanksgiving.

Your phone is a Blu B140dl? correct?
I still have that but right now I'm using a Moto g pure from Walmart. It's 32 GB but I have a 256 gb sd card which doesn't show up all the time. Just recently I was transferring files to it and Simple File Manager wasn't showing it. I don't know if that has anything to do with the other problem.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I should probably be glad it worked for a while. Now it's lying about detecting an analog audio device. I don't know what that has to do with not charging, but it isn't. I shut it off for a while and plugged it up, which didn't work. Then it showed this weird little robot with an open door on its chest and it said START with a couple of arrows. Now it's working again but it's still at only 9%. What can I do?

Upvote 0
I think he was. That chest door was open. I read what you linked to and I figure that's probably what happened, a problem with an app or an update I don't want. I have this Pure pretty well defended against updates, I hope, but I still sometimes get that message with a fast train showing up and somebody holding a phone. I just get rid of it but I wish I didn't have to bother. Also, it's still lying about that analog audio thing.

Upvote 0
Android/dead android with open chest is recovery mode. That's how you factory reset or clear the cache partition on any Android phone. It's not the most intuitive interface, and many at one point (myself included) used to assume it was the Android version of a 'Sad Mac' crash.

image-17.pngsad_mac.jpg

As for the glitchy charging issue, or it thinking it's charging, let me guess: your phone has USB-type C? It's a buggy change for change's sake that irks me to this day, especially regarding using Android Auto. Often I have to unplug/replug it in many times before it cooperates, and this is with a flagship phone, the Z Flip 4. I never had any problem with Micro USB, but then I'm not an idiot either. USB C is plagued with issues with dust and pocket lint as well. Some phones lack a headphone jack and use the USB C port as a headphone jack with proprietary wired earbuds that normally ship with the phone (crappy ones I might add). That would explain it also thinking you had an audio device connected.

If you ever get the phone booting again, try blowing the port out like it were an old Nintendo cartridge or using a toothpick to clean it out carefully. Sometimes USB can be used for storage (called OTG or On The Go) which can cause some issues with it reading SD cards as it dismounts SD cards to read USB Storage.

If you get a notification that says 'SD Card is Corrupt' it could be the SD card has either failed, or the reader in the phone is failing/failed. I got a Galaxy S5 that declares any SD card as 'corrupt' but the cards read fine in other phones/tablets/PCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
I guess it is that c thing. I just found out because I got this device to copy between SD cards and I plugged it into the charging port. I plugged the new 1 tb SanDisk card into the side but it fell out and the adapter to hold it doesn't fit in the other, bigger slot on the side. Also, the plug of the device doesn't fit that well in the charging port and I'm getting that analog audio crap again.

Upvote 0
FYI: the Motorola phones are Motorola in name only. They were bought out by Lenovo a few years ago and are all made in China. Samsung phones are made in Vietnam, which isn't that different. Although at $50, you get what you pay for, sadly.

The only Moto phone I had died shortly after I rooted (the Android version of Jailbreaking albeit with more features) it and it got really hot and died, and only flashes a tiny little white LED if you plug it into a charger. I think it was a Moto E or something, a $30 phone.

If the USB-C port is damaged or the adapter you're using isn't the right kind (yes, even today, USB-C is full of conflicting standards, including charging cables known to short out phones! I think if you don't use the 'approved' Nintendo charger or dock for a Nintendo Switch, just plugging it into a standard USB-C cable kills it) it might 'assume' that you're using headphones. It's all depending on pinouts. It doesn't take much to confuse it.

With my Android Auto issue, it either refuses to launch entirely (showing a black screen in the infotainment system) or it thinks there is no signal/data connection and won't stream music (unplugging it and replugging it in fixes it normally but it is annoying)

Other issues were it not charging when plugged in. I'd plug it in, it'd show '68%, charging, 2 hours until full' and go to bed, waking up to it being quite warm, and then showing '18%, use original charger, unknown time remaining'. That pretty much forces me to rely on wireless charging to work around it today.

If you were one of the unlucky owners of a Galaxy S9 back in the day, that phone's USB-C port always thought it was wet, so you couldn't charge it because it would claim there's moisture in the port, forcing the use of wireless charging as well.

I never had any of those above issues with Micro USB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, it's bad. Last night the audio message disappeared and it was 86%, charging, but this morning only 82%. I don't know what I'm gonna do. What do you mean by wireless charging? Is that the qi plate thing? Where would I get that? I bet it's expensive. I read that it gets hot and hurts the phone. In the meantime, what do I do about copying SD to SD? I don't know if it doesn't work or if it's the phone or both. I tried watching a couple of videos about how to use the device but they didn't run right, really slow and not that much help anyway. Why can't somebody just do a troubleshooting guide in print, maybe a PDF?

Upvote 0
Wireless/Qi chargers are all over the place. You can get one as cheaply as $15 at a Walmart if you want. You do NOT have to get the super fancy branded version. But your phone has to support it, and I highly doubt a $50 phone will.

The USB-C charging issue is rampant, but many here think I make the whole thing up because there's a huge bias that this change for change's sake is 'ThE fUtUrE!!!' and therefore better than having to keep two cables around instead of one (Yeah, like I'm gonna bin all of my perfectly working older devices just to go 'all in' on Type C when we were already all in before!)

The port is also super-prone to pocket lint. It's also easy to damage when trying to pick the dirt out. I'm apparently in the huge minority but I despise type C, think it's just another way to needlessly make people either toss a ton of cables out, or keep up with two or three different kinds. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. The 'Universal' is important. It's intention was to AVOID having sixteen different cable standards, yet we have so many different and incompatible versions that nobody asked for...

At least Micro USB 3.0 had the higher speeds, and was even backward compatible with standard Micro USB. That was an improvement. This Type C is just more garbage that the EU thinks they can enforce even in the U.S.A. Thankfully the only time I have to bother with it is when plugging (and unplugging, replugging 3 more times) into Android Auto.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones