• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging: USB and AC differences

You are probably right. But the formulation may not always cut sharply enough. There are too many factors that influence energy consumption.

With Google Navigation using tricks like screen dimming to reduce consumption, perhaps used with WiFi off and a phone connection that needs only minimal power, or no phone connection at all, some thrifty phone may just scrape by at 500 mA and even charge up a little bit.

That's why the original question may still be useful: Does it show "Charging (AC)" and not "Charging (USB)"?

Upvote 0
As I said, it's worth getting written confirmation from the seller, because then it's a simple case of mis-selling if the charger doesn't do what they said it would do - though both the chargers I bought showed up as "Charging AC", there's no guarantee that the sellers haven't changed suppliers and/or are now selling a slightly different model of charger from the ones I received.

Upvote 0
Heres my 2 cents in this odd behaviour of charging AC vs USB mode:

My 2A wall charger that came with my phone will charge my phone on AC with the micro usb cable that also came with the phone.
This same wall charger will not charge the same phone in AC mode but only USB mode with a $20 rocket fish micro usb cable?

I also bought a dual output 3A rocketfish cigarette lighter charger and with my original cable that came with my phone it charges AC no problem.
This same 3A cig lighter charger will only charge USB mode with the $20 rocketfish micro USB cable.

The AC/USB dilemma is definitely cord related in my case.

How do I find another cable that can handle AC charging?

Upvote 0
If anyone is looking for an AC charging cable (modified to force AC charging) then I've made a few up. They're available on eBay (EU only).
Fast Charge Power Only USB Cable - Android - Type A to Micro-B - 1m - NO DATA | eBay

They seem to work quite well, allowing charging of my Nexus 4 from my PC at about 1A. I can also charge my Nexus 7 at 2A from a car charger that doesn't have the data lines shorted, so with an ordinary USB cable it only charges as 500mA.

This isn't likely to be an ongoing thing, so get em while you can.

Upvote 0
I have a really easy homebrew fix without any soldering, but it may not work on the HTC desire. I can't see why it wouldn't work with the one but I can't try, since I don't have one. This is tested on my Samsung galaxy tab 10.1. Since the data connectors are shorter just slowly plug the cable in to the charger until the phone says charging(AC), then press it in completely. Bam! Please leave feedback if it worked.
Edit: Obviously first plug the cable into the phone.

Upvote 0
This is the HTC Desire forum though, so questions about whether it would work on the HTC One don't really apply here.

I know, I read wrong. I didn't mean the HTC one

Long story: I was looking on the Internet and stumbled upon a thread on this forum regarding the HTC one, so I joined and downloaded the android app a d searched for the thread, but this time I came to the HTC Desire thread, not the HTC one thread, without realizing it. Later I saw that I was on the desire thread, and edited my post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones