• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

check your order status

Well....I didn't pre-order it, but I swung by the VZW store near me to see if they had it, and sure enough, there it was where it wasn't yesterday...I have been going back and forth between the Incredible, and waiting for an LG Android in the US (My last three phones were all LGs, going back to 2003's VX6000, and I have loved them all) and I must say, now that I've messed with the Ally, I'm kind of torn....

Keep in mind, the following is just my humble opinion, and I just figured I'd post since the forum is currently pretty scarce on info...

Granted, they are two entirely different phones, and I understand that, but I really found myself enjoying the Ally's form factor...it is very similar to my LG Dare in design, but is obviously larger, and a bit heavier. There is definitely some heft to the device, but not so much that I found it unwieldy. If you want something that feels super-light, this isn't really the phone for you, but I found that if you are OK having a phone that has some weight to it, this is right up your alley.

It is solid phone in your hand, and doesn't feel cheap....the physical buttons work well, but take some getting used to if you're used to a different Android button layout...the slider feels solid, and seems to be able to live out its life without any issues...

Keyboard I found to be the strongest part of the device ( which is a good thing, since the onscreen one sucked, and I had a lot of trouble using it, so it seems like LG knew that people would be focusing on the physical keyboard...) the buttons are laid out well, though it took a bit of getting used to the modifier keys that you have to use for all the symbols...the keyboard felt roomy (and I don't have small fingers) and the keys felt strong, with good feedback...the top row of numbers didn't give me any problems, as they were the perfect distance away from the sliding face...I didn't hit the upper face with my fingers once while typing)

The interface isn't nearly as strong as the HTC Sense, but I like it better than Motorola's...it's clean, and does a pretty good job of blending LG's old OS with Android's....the screen was responsive, and the system didn't lag at all. I had the web browser open to four pages, and was running about a half dozen widgets/apps and the system was as zippy as it was when I was just messing with the phone at the beginning. Webpages loaded noticeably slower than the Incredible, but that's to be expected...they still loaded quick enough for me to browse and not get frustrated.

The phone pad seemed to be the only place that was a bit slow in responding to presses....even my LG Dare registered the pushes quicker...I had to redial the number a few times...

That's it for now...sorry if it jumps around, and isn't super thorough, but I figured I'd throw something out there to keep you guys warm until your pre-orders arrive, or until you can get into a store yourselves.

Like I said, I'm torn...Sense blows me away, as does the speed of the Inc, but I am excited about the LG hardware, and there's obviously the price difference to consider. I think that the people panning it don't think about the fact that this is a lower-range Android device...and certainly lives up to that expectation.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0
Interesting...Make sure the store has inventory!! I went by my local store and they had one on display. Went to buy it for my wife and was told they won't have actual inventory until next Friday at the earliest. So if you found a store with them, snatch it up now...

Jeez....good to know! My store was packed, and I never got to see a sales rep before I had to split!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones