• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chrome loads up 100 tabs by itself over couple days

Did this start happening after you installed a new app, or a new Chrome extention? If so you could uninstall it and see if it still happens.

If the tabs keep opening you can reset Chrome, this will remove all site logins, accounts, bookmarks, etc.

Open your phones Settings menu.
Tap on Apps or Application manager.
Tap on the Chrome app.
Tap Storage.
Tap Manage Space.
Tap Clear all data to reset Chrome.

Wrapping up​

This will clear all the data on your Google Chrome app from your smartphone. Well, you can get it back on another smartphone by signing in to the same account. This is you can reset your Google Chrome browser on your Android smartphone without uninstalling or disabling it.

reading the reset is undone when you log back into chrome again?
In which case worthless?

Upvote 0
Did this start happening after you installed a new app, or a new Chrome extention? If so you could uninstall it and see if it still happens.

If the tabs keep opening you can reset Chrome, this will remove all site logins, accounts, bookmarks, etc.

Open your phones Settings menu.
Tap on Apps or Application manager.
Tap on the Chrome app.
Tap Storage.
Tap Manage Space.
Tap Clear all data to reset Chrome.
ok, just did a reset.

Before I did a reset, I was in camera app, Chrome took over the phone and loaded another tab, saw it happen in real time.

Upvote 0
My first step would be to look at apps that were installed in the last couple of weeks and start looking at all their permissions.

Second, set up rules for the use of your phone: for every new game they install, an existing game gets uninstalled.

Third, can you set up a 2nd user account on your phone so their games wouldn't affect your settings?

You can boot into safe mode and see if it still happens.

1. Two options depending on the phone:
--Press and hold the power button.
--Swipe down twice to show the quick settings menu and tap the power icon.
2. Tap and hold Power Off.
3. Select to reboot into safe mode.

More info on Safe Mode:

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
It is not those apps, overnight 11 tabs opened. Though it is a lot less tabs opening.
I installed Bitdefender, a scan found malware, this one here, a QR Barcode scanner. After deleting it, says phone has no malware, will see if tabs stop again.

It is not those apps, overnight 11 tabs opened. Though it is a lot less tabs opening.
I installed Bitdefender, a scan found malware, this one here, a QR Barcode scanner. After deleting it, says phone has no malware, will see if tabs stop again.

If it doesn't stop after this, and you don't want to waste anymore time on it, do a factory reset and don't use any backup files since they may have malware. Good luck to you. I hope the removal of the malware cures the problem.

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
No tabs opened since removing the malware app, it is definitely fixed.
That app was installed from google play store. I think android should remove malware apps removed from the play store, at least warn the user. Disable the apps.

Glad to hear it stopped!

I'm pretty sure the Google Play Store scans for malware. You should let them know what you discovered.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this issue

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones