• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 need S-Off?

cashmere_cat

Nov 2, 2010
Western Canada
I'm a bit confused - I've read through the first posts on xda on CyanogenMod7 and there is no reference to needing to be s-off. But when I read the guide that post links to (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Desire_(GSM):_Full_Update_Guide) , the steps seem to be backup, gain s-off, flash.
So do I need to be s-off?
I also don't see an optional a2sd add on, so I assume this is built into CM7?
And ext3 will work?
Yeesh, some of the xda ROM threads are hard to follow....

hi CC

another day another rom for you ;)

i agree they can mess with your brain a bit cant they

i wouldnt have thought you would need s-off just to install a rom - i though s-off was an extra you could do - but dont know much about it

if cm has a2sd i would expect it to work with you partitiion - but then again im assuming which can be bad :D

sorry cant give better assist :/

good luck

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
hi CC

another day another rom for you ;)

cheers
dan

lol, well you know what they say....curiosity gets the cat ;)
Now that I've flashed a few, and learned from a few mistakes, Im curious to see what all the roms are about, and what makes them different from the others. Then I will pick a favorite one to stick to (ya riiigghhht! lol)

Upvote 0
Yes, that's the answer. You can install and run CM7 perfectly well without S-Off. It will however leave more than 100MB of space unused in the system partition, and if you want to reclaim that for yourself you need to be S-Off to do that.

So to clarify -- it will still use the ext3, just 100M less of it? So where I now have ~700M left -- with CM7 and no S-off, I would only have 600M available to me?

Upvote 0
Repartitioning your internal storage won't affect your sd-ext usage at all. All it does is change the amount of /data space you have.

However, even with a2sd+ you still use some internal space (/data), since it's only part(s) of the app, the apk and (usually) dalvik cache, which are on the sd-ext. App data, and libraries (if any), remain in internal. So increasing the size of /data means that you can install more apps, or store more app data, than you could otherwise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones