• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM7 or the OMG*other letters missing* builds?

Thats

That guy is This
Feb 19, 2010
Fargo, ND
So, I have been running CM7 since it was released as a non-stable build. I have no been doing some research and I really would like to try out the OMG builds. But I have a few questions for my fellow Androidians who hopefully have ran both of these.

What features from each do you prefer/enjoy more over each?

Has one been more reliable than the other for you? I personally have not had 1 random reboot on CM7, ever.

Is it worth making the jump from CM7 to OMG for the nightlies? Any other reasons?

Yeah just try it out, they aren't that much different. OMFGB nightly's have died recently. Nightly on 8/12 next on 8/17 and none since.

Recently I have been having issues with OMFGB, every time I flash the rom I have issues with restoring backups with titanium (restore causing force closes). The 8/12 nightly killed my wifi. I think it may be I don't want to boot into recovery just to fix permissions but I should as when OMFGB worked for me it worked very well.

Reactions: Thats
Upvote 0
@OP I would also suggest trying out other AOSP roms as well. Both CM and OMFGB are source built by one dev. I would suggest A05P TH30RY (something like that I am not very 1337) or Liquid Thunderbread. Both are CM based and work very well. BAMF also released a rom recently that is OMFGB based that is getting good reviews but I can't speak for it.

Reactions: Thats
Upvote 0
Ah you will find set up gets easier the more you do it ;)

I am actually running SPB shell 3D and it saves your set up minus non-SPB widgets between flashes which is very nice plus I get lots of eye candy

I had a set up before where I could do anything I wanted on my lock screen (tasker, minimalistic text, and widget locker), I even uninstalled all LP from that rom to force myself to keep with the lockscreen only set up

Upvote 0
Ah you will find set up gets easier the more you do it ;)

I am actually running SPB shell 3D and it saves your set up minus non-SPB widgets between flashes which is very nice plus I get lots of eye candy

I had a set up before where I could do anything I wanted on my lock screen (tasker, minimalistic text, and widget locker), I even uninstalled all LP from that rom to force myself to keep with the lockscreen only set up

Hi,
Doesn't adw in CM7 now backup settings and desktop configuration? So setup would not be lost between flashes?
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones