• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND RUN THE ROOTCHECKER APP ON YOUR COBY MID7042, MID8042, MID9042, MID9742, MID1042, MID10245 TAB --- thank you

NOTE: RootChecker does not Root your tablet. It just does a report on your tablet's status. It does not change anything. Just does a report.

i need to know what it says

Download the RootChecker.apk to your MID9742 tablet.
Download Rootchecker/apk from ... HERE: http://goo.gl/KEt1Z

Run/install the RootChecker.apk and let me know what it says?

----- THIS FIX DID NOT WORK ----
----- MID9742 IS NOT PRE-ROOTED ----

---

When Using This MID9742 FORUM START: HERE
(--http://androidforums.com/coby-kyros-mid9742--)
Then find the right thread
---

Reactions: stef234237
Upvote 0
here ya go :)

Superuser Application Status:
Superuser application - is NOT installed!
The Superuser application, available in the Android Market, is recommended for managing root access.

System File Properties for Root Access:
Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/bin/su does not exist.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/su does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin

/system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your MID9742 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.2.1 from joeykrim in the Android Market - http://goo.gl/NcnHn

Upvote 0
Superuser Application Status:
Superuser application - version 3.0.7 - is installed!

System File Properties for Root Access:
Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/su:
Result: /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/su does not exist.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /sbin/su:
Result: /sbin/su: Permission denied
Analysis: File system permissions restricted and denied access.

Standard Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/bin/su:
Result: /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/bin/su does not exist.

Alternative Location
Check Command: ls -l /system/xbin/sudo:
Result: /system/xbin/sudo: No such file or directory
Analysis: File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist.

Root User ID and Group ID Status:
SU binary not found or not operating properly

System Environment PATH: /sbin /vendor/bin /system/sbin /system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell Default User:
ADB shell setting for standard access, stored in default.prop, is configured as: shell (non root) user - ro.secure=1

Results provided on your MID9742 device by Root Checker Pro version 1.2.1 from joeykrim in the Android Market - http://goo.gl/NcnHn

icon is in list for super user

Upvote 0
I dont see it so what does super user do ?
SuperUser is like the Administor User on your PC. It allows you to make changes to your system that are otherwise Restricted. Most tablets/phones Restrict the Systems level files. That is where the Android Apps are Installed. So if you can gain acces to the Systems Level Files, you can > Make changes> Add / Delete Apps> Etc.
----------
TRY THIS - CLICK on the SuperUser App you installed on your MID9742
Grant all permissions and download busybox if asked. ??? Did it work?
What happened

IF so, Run RootChecker Again.

Upvote 0
This tablet is a muthafugginpaininthears ! Ok, I'm having different problem running .bat file from my gateway lappy, win 7, 4 gig RAM, bla, bla. I run the bat file and it seems to be flashing page after page of "failure to xxxxx" or whatever the messages are. I then continue directions on reboot, open MARKET app and it hangs for about 15 seconds before force closing. After that it continues to force close. I already had gmail installed and it works. Am going to try to unistall market and try bat file again. Will report results.

Upvote 0

I noticed that both SoCoolAZ and Steph___ had already installed some google apps before trying to use the script. --
Maybe a Full Factory restore may help the script to work.
Then Download and Run the GooglePlay ICS Script.
---------------- UPDATE

The downloaded file contains the files needed to install GooglePlay on your Coby ( MID??42) Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet which is really just a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" IceCreamSandwich Tablet.

Download the following file to your PC Desktop > Unzip the File > Find the ReadMe file and follow instructions. Download "IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z" from HERE

-------------------------------------------
"""" If you can not unzip the file, Download the free 7Zip Program. from HERE
Install 7Zip program to your PC. Then Right-Click GooglePlay Script file you downloaded above and Extract To: the choice that matches the filename """"""
Open the ReadMe File and Follow instructions.

Alternate Download Method: Right-Click and SAVE AS
http://205.196.120.206/s4yp8jzu6dqg/ortpl94ehfyr3tp/IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z

***** I dont know how to do the Factory Reset. It may be under Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset

Upvote 0
Some People Believe that the Coby IceCreamTablets may Be Pre-Rooted (Shipped Rooted)
Lets Give It A Test. The RootExplorer App is used to Navagate and Make Changes on Rooted Android devices. If RootExplorer works, then the device is rooted. (Right ?)
Download Root Explorer from Here: Ndroidware: Root Explorer (File Manager) v2.19
Install RootExplorer. Open Root Explorer.
Do you see the SYS folder ? SYSTEM folder? Can you open the folders? If so, you are Rooted.
is the app "busybox" present in either folder ... /system/bin -OR- /system/xbin ??

-- The Superuer.apk ... HERE: http://apkpl.us/tools/superuser
----- MID9742 NOT PRE-ROOTED----

Upvote 0
I noticed that both SoCoolAZ and Steph___ had already installed some google apps before trying to use the script. --
Maybe a Full Factory restore may help the script to work.
Then Download and Run the GooglePlay ICS Script.
---------------- UPDATE

The downloaded file contains the files needed to install GooglePlay on your Coby ( MID??42) Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet which is really just a Generic "ALLWINNER A10" IceCreamSandwich Tablet.

Download the following file to your PC Desktop > Unzip the File > Find the ReadMe file and follow instructions. Download "IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z" from HERE

-------------------------------------------
"""" If you can not unzip the file, Download the free 7Zip Program. from HERE
Install 7Zip program to your PC. Then Right-Click GooglePlay Script file you downloaded above and Extract To: the choice that matches the filename """"""
Open the ReadMe File and Follow instructions.

Alternate Download Method: Right-Click and SAVE AS
http://205.196.120.206/s4yp8jzu6dqg/ortpl94ehfyr3tp/IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z

***** I dont know how to do the Factory Reset. It may be under Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset
did factory reset hooked up usb on and

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Connect Tablet to PC powered-ON and enable USB Debugging & Stay Awake.
2. Extract file and run Google-Play.bat and follow instructions.
3. Goto Settings > Language&Input > Tap "Default" (under Keyboard Input).
4. Select English (US) or whatever Language you have set. ran google play batt disconected usb turn off then on.

no google play files on tablet
==========================================================

Upvote 0
Some People Believe that the Coby IceCreamTablets may Be Pre-Rooted (Shipped Rooted)
Lets Give It A Test. The RootExplorer App is used to Navagate and Make Changes on Rooted Android devices. If RootExplorer works, then the device is rooted. (Right ?)
Download Root Explorer from Here: Ndroidware: Root Explorer (File Manager) v2.19
Install RootExplorer. Open Root Explorer.
Do you see the SYS folder ? SYSTEM folder? Can you open the folders? If so, you are Rooted.
is the app "busybox" present in either folder ... /system/bin -OR- /system/xbin ??

-- The Superuer.apk ... HERE: Superuser | APK + Download Android Apps
downloaded root explorer can see a slew of files under system bin there is busy box

Upvote 0
Two of the Latest GooglePlay Apps to Try: Download File Links
-- Google Play Store v3.5.16 [Original] (Vending-3.5.16.apk) – Vending-3.5.16.apk
-- Google Play Store v3.5.16 MOD (Vending-3.5.16-mod.apk) – Vending-3.5.16-mod.apk

downloaded first vending app google store is present in tablet rebooted... tried store it starts then goes back to all apps page . forse stop .. clear all data .. reboot.. select play store it goes to play store for a seconds like its going to work then closes back to apps page on tablet

Upvote 0
----- MID9742 NOT ROOTED, SO THIS FIX DID NOT WORK ----
downloaded root explorer can see a slew of files under system bin there is busy box
@stef234237 -- You Appear To Be Rooted
Try To Manually Install The Market.Apk (GoogolePlay)
----------------------
Download Vending App From Here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=981666&d=1333517929
( this is a special version of the vending.apk -- you must use this file )
(Do Not Install the Vending.zip ---> --- Just Download it On your tablet.
OR Download the Vending.zip To Your PC / then Copy vending.zip To your MicroSD card (tflash)

HOW TO MANUALLY INSTALL THE VENDING.APK (( this is the Market/GooglePlay App )
On A Rooted Tablet ---
OPEN the RootExplorer App.
** The Top of RootExplorer should read: r/w in white lettering with [ Mount R/O] highlighted on the right
The highlight is a toggle switch. You want r/w on the left and Mount R/O on the right.

Navagate to the location of the Vending.zip file you just placed/downloaded on your tablet.
CLICK and HOLD the Vending.zip file then RENAME to Vending.apk
CLICK and HOLD the Vending.apk file and CHOOSE to COPY
Still using RootExplorer. ... NAVIGATE TO /system folder ... NAVIGATE TO /system/app folder
({{ you will see a list of installed Apps )))
SCROLL down to Vending.apk RENAME to Vending.bak ( this is the Market App )
If you copied the Vending.apk file earlier, PASTE it NOW (/system/app)

HOW TO CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS ON THE VENDING.APK File:
PRESS and HOLD Vending.apk SCROLL DOWN TO PERMISSIONS
CLICK on PERMISSIONS. Change premissions to the following:
-- OWNER: READ [CHECKED] WRITE [CHECKED] EXECUTE (blank)
-- GROUP: .READ [CHECKED] WRITE [blank] EXECUTE (blank)
-- OTHERS: READ [CHECKED] WRITE [blank] EXECUTE (blank)
CLICK OK -- then RESTART Tablet
GOOGLE PLAY App Should Appear in your AppTray

---

When Using This MID9742 FORUM START: HERE
(--http://androidforums.com/coby-kyros-mid9742--)
Then find the right thread
---

Upvote 0
Not being mean but can you break this down a bit ? I download and install with regular package installer? or go to busy box i'm a tad confused because it wont replace earlier apk file for market? Maybe im just tired . I really appreciate this I feel we might be getting close :) google play app is in my app tray and the shopping bag upper right of tray already.

Upvote 0
@stef234237 -- You Appear To Be Rooted
Try To Manually Install The Market.Apk (GoogolePlay)
----------------------
Download Vending App From Here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=981666&d=1333517929
( this is a special version of the vending.apk -- you must use this file )
(Do Not Install the Vending.zip ---> --- Just Download it On your tablet.
OR Download the Vending.zip To Your PC / then Copy vending.zip To your MicroSD card (tflash)

HOW TO MANUALLY INSTALL THE VENDING.APK (( this is the Market/GooglePlay App )
On A Rooted Tablet ---
OPEN the RootExplorer App.
** The Top of RootExplorer should read: r/w in white lettering with [ Mount R/O] highlighted on the right
The highlight is a toggle switch. You want r/w on the left and Mount R/O on the right.

Navagate to the location of the Vending.zip file you just placed/downloaded on your tablet.
CLICK and HOLD the Vending.zip file then RENAME to Vending.apk
CLICK and HOLD the Vending.apk file and CHOOSE to COPY
Still using RootExplorer. ... NAVIGATE TO /system folder ... NAVIGATE TO /system/app folder
({{ you will see a list of installed Apps )))
SCROLL down to Vending.apk RENAME to Vending.bak ( this is the Market App )
If you copied the Vending.apk file earlier, PASTE it NOW (/system/app)

HOW TO CHANGE THE PERMISSIONS ON THE VENDING.APK File:
PRESS and HOLD Vending.apk SCROLL DOWN TO PERMISSIONS
CLICK on PERMISSIONS. Change premissions to the following:
-- OWNER: READ [CHECKED] WRITE [CHECKED] EXECUTE (blank)
-- GROUP: .READ [CHECKED] WRITE [blank] EXECUTE (blank)
-- OTHERS: READ [CHECKED] WRITE [blank] EXECUTE (blank)
CLICK OK -- then RESTART Tablet
GOOGLE PLAY App Should Appear in your AppTray

mine shows mounted asr/o see pic. There is nothing on the right

Attachments

• 100_2938.JPG
    100_2938.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
When you open Root Explorer does it say "SuperUser Denied? or Superuser Granted?
When you open superuser app, does does root explorer appear (does any other app appear)
Doublecheck where BusyBox is installed system/bin or system/xbin
when i click on root explorer this is the first screen i get 100_2956.JPG it doesnt say if super user is denied or grantedwhen i open up super user i get this with no apps listed100_2958.JPGbusy box is installed in system/ bin... dexdump and parent folder are in xbin

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones