• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cognition is AWESOME

Have you had any luck with this? I am experiencing this too. My car will detect my phone and say that its paired but all calls (in and out) still go through the headset. Also, my phone wont stay paired with my car. Everything worked fine prior to loading Cognition (beta 6). I suspect the Remote SIM is the problem. Does anyone know what Remote SIM is?

Upvote 0
Have you had any luck with this? I am experiencing this too. My car will detect my phone and say that its paired but all calls (in and out) still go through the headset. Also, my phone wont stay paired with my car. Everything worked fine prior to loading Cognition (beta 6). I suspect the Remote SIM is the problem. Does anyone know what Remote SIM is?

I'm having this exact same problem too...otherwise cognition is awesome. Would love to know if there's a fix / workaround for this.

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed that sometimes the notification bar won't pull down? Like, you can see the "lip" of it but it doesn't slide down all the way? I started getting this problem when I flashed beta 4 and I can't fix it without rebooting. Is this a common bug?

I skipped beta 4 so I can't say if it is/was a.common problem with it. If it is giving you too much grief, flash up to beta7. It just went live yesterday and so.far it has been flawless for me.

Upvote 0

Remote Sim Mode is a bluetooth profile that integrates the phone in to the car's telephone system. Previously, with most bluetooth profiles, the car used the phone's aerial and communicated over bluetooth. This sapped battery life and was prone to connection dropouts.

Remote sim allows the car's telephone ECU to scan the SIM card in the phone and gain authorization to use the SIM card, remotely, within the car's telephone system.

So the phone now has no more involvement other than granting access to the SIM over bluetooth. This will of course improve battery life and call quality, because the car now uses its own aerial and doesn't have to communicate over bluetooth.

Hope that clears the remote sim mode up, basically if your car doesn't have a telephone system built in then this mode isn't actually being used. :cool:

Reactions: chan031
Upvote 0
I have noticed one problem since I updated to Cognition beta6. My SiriusXM app streams audio for a couple minutes then suddenly cuts out. The "spinning" icon thing isn't popping up so it's not losing connection. It's almost as though the volume just cuts out. If I pause and play again forcing it to reconnect it starts working again.

I didn't have this problem prior to flashing to Cognition but I'm not sure if it's because of Cog or because I was forced to download the new SiriusXM 1.1 app. Anyone else noticing this?

Upvote 0
So this is what I've figured out. If I turn BT on and then pair it with my car all is fine. My cap recognizes my car and vise versa. The trouble beings when I turn off BT after I exit my car. That's when the "remote sim mode" activates and my phone is no longer paired.

Leaving BT on even when I'm not using it keeps all my pairings in tact and my car recognizes my phone as soon as its within range.

Personally, I like to only turn my BT on when I'm using it but this works for now until an update or fix is released.

Upvote 0
stupid thing I noticed not a huge deal but def makes phone calls while driving tough. I have my phone connected to my head unit via 1/4 headphone jack. I used to be able to actually hear my phone ringing and take a voice call threw my radio in my jeep. Now on 2.2 cog, it just goes silent when it sees the cable hooked up no ringing anymore or voices. Any ways around this, I dont have the money for a good bluetooth right now =(

Upvote 0
Was running Beta 8. Had huge problems with battery life and with the back button not working properly. But I see today there is a Beta 9 and I'm hoping things will be fixed.

This is exactly why I was never gong-ho on Congnition. There is a new version almost every day and each version introduces new bugs, that get fixed in the following version which introduces other new bugs.
What the guys is doing is great from programmer's point of view, but I also, don't want to be updating and re-updating my phone every day.

Upvote 0
Man I am seriously cracking up inside right now. If you're having problems with Cognition this is likely because it is BETA. The people that have very very few problems are the ones that read before just flashing. There's a good reason that Cognition is posted in the Development section of XDA. I have never and would never recommend anyone to just go ahead and flash Cog right after getting their shiny new Captivate before ever doing anything similar. </end rant>

If you're having phone FCs, did you do a restore of all system and user apps from Titanium Backup?

Upvote 0
Man I am seriously cracking up inside right now. If you're having problems with Cognition this is likely because it is BETA. The people that have very very few problems are the ones that read before just flashing. There's a good reason that Cognition is posted in the Development section of XDA. I have never and would never recommend anyone to just go ahead and flash Cog right after getting their shiny new Captivate before ever doing anything similar. </end rant>

If you're having phone FCs, did you do a restore of all system and user apps from Titanium Backup?

I did in fact do a full restore of all system data and apps from Titanium Backup.. I've used every version of Cognition since it's existence, so this isn't my first time dealing with the flashing of ROMS and the restoration of my data and apps.

I am also completely aware of it's Beta Status and the risks that come from using Betas. I was merely posting my issues here to see if this was a common issue or only associated with my device.. I may be new here, but I do have a slight understanding of what I am doing...

Upvote 0
Been having issues making outgoing calls since flashing cognition 2.2 beta 9. The phone app keeps force closing on me.

Before I first flashed Cog I did a Titanium back up of all system and user apps. Flashed Cog 2.2 and restored all my apps not thinking about it. Had this exact same problem. Just re-flash your Cog 2.2 (or Stock if that is what you want to go back to) and either manually reinstall your old apps or use Titanium to restore only user apps. Not a big deal.

Im running Beta 6 with hardly any issues. The only bug I have noticed is sometimes when my wife calls it plays the default ringtone instead of the one I have selected for her.

Upvote 0
I did in fact do a full restore of all system data and apps from Titanium Backup..

This is likely your issue. Titanium would have backed up the phone app from your previous version and then restored over the new version, thus causing force closing.

For the record, I didn't say you didn't know what you were doing. You got far enough to flash it so you were doing something right. :D

But yes, it is a common issue when you back up all system apps/data and then restore that on the newer versions.

Upvote 0
the wallpaper you get that cognition one, when you first boot your phone up, it was set to the default wallpaper...i changed mine thinking I could just swap back, but can't find it anywhere, does anyone know where it might be located or has it for upload, thanks.

Here's the original:
default_wallpaper.jpg

Here's a modified one by someone on XDA:
background2.png

EDIT: I changed the original with the one straight from the original framework-res.apk.

Reactions: pinbak
Upvote 0
This is likely your issue. Titanium would have backed up the phone app from your previous version and then restored over the new version, thus causing force closing.

For the record, I didn't say you didn't know what you were doing. You got far enough to flash it so you were doing something right. :D

But yes, it is a common issue when you back up all system apps/data and then restore that on the newer versions.

Yea, I'm going to have to agree on this one. I had tons of issues with stuff force closing when I first installed cognition, then it dawned on me that I was restoring system stuff from a different OS version and that was probably a bad idea. I then did a factory reset and only restored the apps and app data. After that I have seen 2-3 force closes in the last 3 weeks. I'm still running beta 5 and its been working great the whole time. The only issue I have is that I have problems loading up static wallpaper files, its wierd because the live wallpapers work great.

Upvote 0
I installed 2.2b9.1.3 today. I have been upgrading and downgrading sinse beta3. And I have never had any problems until today. Ive been foolong with this for about 6 hrs now and still no luck. I first flashed with "rom manager" install went great however now the phone dosent recognize my Internal or external (16gb) sd cards. I can make and recieve call surf the web but can do anything that saves to the phone ie: apps, camera, nothing.i now cant reinstall "rom manager" I thought maybe I screwed something up so I tried again. Same result I cam home and used Odin same result. I am stuck I dont know what to do now. I would really like to get back to some 2.1 rom but I will be happy with a fully functioning phone.
Please help
Cj

Upvote 0
I installed 2.2b9.1.3 today. I have been upgrading and downgrading sinse beta3. And I have never had any problems until today. Ive been foolong with this for about 6 hrs now and still no luck. I first flashed with "rom manager" install went great however now the phone dosent recognize my Internal or external (16gb) sd cards. I can make and recieve call surf the web but can do anything that saves to the phone ie: apps, camera, nothing.i now cant reinstall "rom manager" I thought maybe I screwed something up so I tried again. Same result I cam home and used Odin same result. I am stuck I dont know what to do now. I would really like to get back to some 2.1 rom but I will be happy with a fully functioning phone.
Please help
Cj

Have you tried a "Master Clear" with Odin?

I have heared something about someone who had a simular problem. They said they had been flashing roms over and over eachother, without clearing between each, eventually it some how got messed up. If you can master clear with odin and reformat the internal card in recovery mode. If I remember, that was how he fixed it. If I find that post again, I will link it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones