• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Compatible firmware for RCT6378W2

jeremyb234

Aug 18, 2014
I have been having problems with an RCT6378W2 that does not boot past the RCA splashscreen. Prior to crashing, USB debugging was not enabled. It seems that I am in a bind until I can manage to reflash the tablet with the proper firmware. To my knowledge, it seems that RCA has not released the firmware for this tablet.

So, that brings me to my question: Does anybody know if there are any other firmwares floating around on the internet that might be compatible with this tablet? Here are a few questions I have been wondering about:

1. Is there some sort of "Universal" firmware that works on multiple tablets? For example, something similar to the live linux distributions?

2. Would it be possible to flash the tablet with a firmware that goes to a tablet with similar or identical specs? I have heard that firmware roms are frequently processor and motherboard specific. The following link gives a much more technical specifications than the RCA website.

3. (A question for you developers out there) - How specific does a firmware rom need to be? Is there some sort of digital signature that can be manipulated from one tablets firmware to make it install to a different tablet with equal specs?

Any help would be appreciated. My tablet still turns on and goes to the Android Recovery System <3e>, so I feel like there should still be hope for it. I just haven't been able to find anything that works.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones