• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Noob trying to undrestand rooting

RTAdams89

Mar 8, 2010
I am somewhat interested in overclocking my Droid and also being able to use root-only apps. I am currently running stock 2.1 firmware. I see there are multiple different customized firmwares that enable root. But are there any firmwares that are exactly the same as the stock 2.01 or 2.1 firmware, except for being rooted? I'm I completely misunderstanding what rooting means?

All root means is that you (root only applications) will be able to access su (super user) permissions on your phone. Dont let anyone fool you, its not rocket science. It will just be an icon (or app) on your phone that regulates these permissions.
The first thing most people do after obtaining root is installing a recovery (like clockwork or sp recovery) and then getting comfortable with nandroid backups.
Once you know how to nandroid, it's virtually impossible to brick because you can always restore back to a working state.

Search away, theres tons of info. Some stuff might be out dated, so try the most recent procedures first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones