• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Confused

Trying to go through this guide.
How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

Im not sure which HBOOT i have or even what a HBOOT is. I tried to find out where to go to look but I'm not having any luck.

Turn off your phone and hold volume down + power to load into HBOOT, the version number at the top will tell you what you have. I don't remember what is what, so you'll have to search for that.

Also what is the whole ABD thing or a shell? Not sure how to do that... My touch pro 2 was so much easier than this...

ADB is part of the android SDK. It allows you to access the phone's terminal from your PC through usb. See here: [TUTORIAL/HOW TO] Basics of ADB - xda-developers

Its not difficult to learn if you have much experience with command line utilities, linux or unix-based one specifically help a lot.

If you aren't willing to wait or learn, stick with your stock ROM, crapware, and feature lock outs.... or go back to the TP2.

Upvote 0
The only thing that works right now for the new OTA (which you apparently have if you have the main image older failure) is here:

---==={ROOT GUIDE}===--- | 1.47.651.1 ROOT method | - xda-developers

If you wait anywhere between a few hours to maybe a couple weeks (who knows?), someone may have an idiot-proof guide or simple root out. Your call.

I used this as an opportunity to learn how to use adb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones