• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connecting Android (Captivate) to Wireless Enterprise Network

deeps29

Lurker
Jul 22, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum as well as to Android. So far I loved this Samsung Captivate phone.

My university, VT uses two wireless connection, one is manual login and other is auto login Enterprise Network. This is what my university describe about it

"An automatic wireless authentication method using the IEEE 802.1x standard is available. Once configured, there will be no need to manually authenticate with each access to the Virginia Tech wireless network."

This network requires a certificate to be installed on machine. As of now they have support for Windows PCs, MACs and iPhones. Is there any way I can access this wireless network through my Android based phone?

Thanks you in advance!

Oooh, good question. My school (Georgia Tech) has a similar setup with a WPA network that doesn't require repeated login. I just looked it up on their support site, and it had this to say about configuring the Droid. Not sure how well this applies to your network or the Captivate, but I figured I'd try. Obviously replace anything referencing our network with the hopefully applicable counterpart on yours.

GTwpa does work on the Motorola Droid A855 (Android 2.1-update1) without root, but first you must go to the Home menu, press "Settings" then "Location & Security" and then press "Set Password" (near bottom of list). After doing this (and typing in an 8-character password) , check "Use secure credentials" two lines above "Set Password".

Now go back to the Home menu, press "Settings," then "Wireless and networks", then "WiFi settings" and scroll to the bottom and select "Add Wi-Fi Network". Fill in the parameters as follows:

Network SSID: GTwpa
Security: select "802.1x Enterprise"
EAP Method: select "PEAP"
Phase 2 Authentication: select "PAP"
CA certificate" select "N/A"
Client certificate" select "N/A"
Identity:
Anonymous identity: blank
Wireless password:
Click (touch) "Save" at bottom.

Now touch "GTwpa" under "Wi-Fi Networks" to connect.

This has to be repeated when your password changes

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answer. However my school's wireless network requires a certificate to be installed on device. I have installed it and tried some settings as you suggested. I will see if it works tomorrow morning. I guess I might need to play around with the settings a little bit and get it worked.

Upvote 0
Deeps29, have you happened to figure anything out? I go to Tech too and I really don't want to have to log onto WLAN every time...

I'm gonna keep searching, and I'll let you know if I find anything.

Quick Edit: Looking at the iPhone instructions it looks like you can configure it by adding a wifi network typing in the SSID and hitting 802.1x Enterprise as the security type. Have you already downloaded the certificate? I was able to just select my cert. from the dropdown menu, then under EAP method I just chose TLS...

I just have one problem, I am not in Blacksburg until mid-august so I have no idea if this works, I was just bored and decided to mess with it.

If you are at Tech let me know if it works!

Upvote 0
Oooh, good question. My school (Georgia Tech) has a similar setup with a WPA network that doesn't require repeated login. I just looked it up on their support site, and it had this to say about configuring the Droid. Not sure how well this applies to your network or the Captivate, but I figured I'd try. Obviously replace anything referencing our network with the hopefully applicable counterpart on yours.

GTwpa does work on the Motorola Droid A855 (Android 2.1-update1) without root, but first you must go to the Home menu, press "Settings" then "Location & Security" and then press "Set Password" (near bottom of list). After doing this (and typing in an 8-character password) , check "Use secure credentials" two lines above "Set Password".

Now go back to the Home menu, press "Settings," then "Wireless and networks", then "WiFi settings" and scroll to the bottom and select "Add Wi-Fi Network". Fill in the parameters as follows:

Identity:
Wireless password:

I'll have to try this at my university (Radford University) when I get back to work on Tuesday.

SN - Small world. I just came back from GT on a visit to their grad school. Loved it down there

Upvote 0
This did not work for my Samsung Vibrant. Our College has an open wifi network. I can connect, and get a valid IP address, but no web pages load. Does anyone know what is going wrong or if there are any ways around this.

GTASouthPark, I think what you are looking at are some known issues with Eclair. One problem it has is with getting the netmask right for 10.x.x.x networks with DHCP. Usually these get partitioned up so they don't use the class A netmask. DHCP tried to send the correct netmask but your phone ignores is. You might be able to fix this by getting a dynamic ip address and then configuring your phone to use that as a static ip.

The other problem I have heard about is with wpa2 certs where they seem to expire after a short period of time. I think either bug gives what you are describing. You can connect but you can't download any web pages. I had this same problem with the WPA2 networks at my work on my Captivate.

The good news is that this is definitely in Froyo. I installed the Cognition beta rom over the weekend. Before that I saw the same issues you are describing. Now I can use the wireless network without any problems.

Upvote 0
Hi deep29,

Did you connect your captivate with your school net?

I have the same problem with BCM. I tried the following but it does not work.

Home menu, press "Settings" then "Location & Security" and then press "Set Password" (near bottom of list). After doing this (and typing in an 8-character password) , check "Use secure credentials" two lines above "Set Password".

Network SSID: bcm
Identity: blank
Wireless password: blank

Please let me know your status!

Upvote 0

Identity:
Wireless password:

Hi,
I followed the similar steps for connecting to wifi network in my office. Using my domain name and pwd it connected smoothly. but the problem is in status its connected but there is no internet connection like i cant load the pages in net or refresh the apps.. am using htc wildfire..2.2 froyooo... need help...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones