• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Connection Optimizer and Location Services?

Murf1

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2012
Indiana
I occasionally get several times a day a pop-up for Connection Optimizer wanting to do something and it says to enable Locations Service. I press Cancel.

- Do I need Connection Optimizer?

- Can I make it stop asking? (I am not rooted)

- What if I enable Locations Service?
- Will it stop the nagging pop-up?
- Doesn't that turn on the GPS all the time and use considerable battery?

Thanks

For the record, I have locations services on high accuracy all the time. It doesn't mean your gps will run all the time. I can go 2 days between charges with light use. Even with moderate use, I have 30 to 50% left at the end of the day.

Connections optimizer is not essential, but it does store log in credentials for public Wi-Fi access points so you don't always have to reenter them everything you use that AP.

Locations Services just declares what is available to be used when determining your location. No GPS or other locating methods will be used unless you are doing something that requires it, in which case an icon will appear in your status bar to indicate this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murf1
Upvote 0
I occasionally get several times a day a pop-up for Connection Optimizer wanting to do something and it says to enable Locations Service. I press Cancel.

- Do I need Connection Optimizer?

- Can I make it stop asking? (I am not rooted)

- What if I enable Locations Service?
- Will it stop the nagging pop-up?
- Doesn't that turn on the GPS all the time and use considerable battery?

Thanks
Just turn it off (uncheck it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones