• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help connectivity question

hi, i have a rogers branded and locked magic that i am using in toronto. my device is not rooted....yet. i have had an issue recently where my phone will not be able to use any data, even though i have a connection to the rogers network.

i looked at my phone and noticed an error in the notification bar that showed an exclamation point next to the sync symbol (for syncing to my exchange server). at first i thought it was a server issue and proceeded to try to manually get it to sync several times, but it would not. i noticed that my signal strength showed a couple of bars, but there was no indication that data was being transmitted (usually i see the g or h over some arrows). i opened the browser to see if it would connect to the internet and sure enough it would not. it happened on sat and now it happened again this morning. i tried pulling powering it off and on, pulling the battery, etc, with no luck. each time i had to go into the network settings and select the rogers network before it would work again. the rogers network showed as my provider and the apn showed rogers as well.

any thoughts on what is happening?

hi, i have a rogers branded and locked magic that i am using in toronto. my device is not rooted....yet. i have had an issue recently where my phone will not be able to use any data, even though i have a connection to the rogers network.

i looked at my phone and noticed an error in the notification bar that showed an exclamation point next to the sync symbol (for syncing to my exchange server). at first i thought it was a server issue and proceeded to try to manually get it to sync several times, but it would not. i noticed that my signal strength showed a couple of bars, but there was no indication that data was being transmitted (usually i see the g or h over some arrows). i opened the browser to see if it would connect to the internet and sure enough it would not. it happened on sat and now it happened again this morning. i tried pulling powering it off and on, pulling the battery, etc, with no luck. each time i had to go into the network settings and select the rogers network before it would work again. the rogers network showed as my provider and the apn showed rogers as well.

any thoughts on what is happening?

You might try a factory reset and let the phone re-sync properly .. sounds like it might be have conflicts in one of the areas, contacts, calendar, ???

Upvote 0
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Yesterday I've won an HTC Magic.

I have a similar problem like hondaguy with my Dutch HTC Magic. I sim-unlocked my phone (which was vodafone only), and put in my old Telfort (= dutch carrier) sim card. This card has 2 services on it, 180 minutes of talk time (calling works perfectly) and an unlimited data package. The last one, you guessed it, doesn't work. My browser and all other applications can't seem to find a working data connection (apart from WiFi of course). What is causing this problem? Is there any solution to this?

Upvote 0
i completely forgot about this thread! first off, my phone was not rooted so the apn is correct, its the rogers settings that the phone came with.

my issue returned a little over a week ago and i decided to activate a brand new sim card to see if it would help out. i have not had the connectivity issue since changing to a brand new sim. my old sim was a 3g sim, but i have been using it for over a year, and i have swapped it in and out of so many phones i have literally lost count.

i have read complaints in other forums about connectivity issues with the magic and most of the ones that i have read seem to have been sim card related. this phone seems to be tempermental when an old sim card is being used. i hope this helps other users

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones