• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering Android laptop

KathyJM

Jan 16, 2012
UK
My Windows laptop is ageing and I am starting to consider what to replace it with.
My main gripe with Windows is the amount of time it takes to start up. As I have Android phone and a 8" tablet, it seems logical to consider an Android device.
A convertible appeals, but what should I consider when choosing a platform, then a model.
I currently use the laptop mainly for spreadsheets, web browsing, etc. I don't watch TV/movies on it (though I might want to in the future). The games I play aren't the high definition, fast-moving type - just animations.
My budget is under £500.

Any advice and suggestions would be welcome.

Android doesn't run natively on a laptop. It's an operating system designed for mobile devices. You can run an Android emulator, on top of an existing O/S.

If boot time is an issue, then consider a SSD. My Ubuntu laptop boots up in seconds.

You may also want to consider a Linux based system? There's none of the constant reboots you get with a Windows system, when applications are updated. In fact the system will stay running for weeks continuously.
If you do need to run a Windows O/S for certain applications, you can always do that in a virtual machine.

My current laptop is an 8 year old machine, running Ubuntu 16.04, with a 500GB SSD. It boots in under 10 seconds, to the login prompt, from a cold start.

Upvote 0
SSD stands for Solid State Drive. It's got no moving parts like a traditional rotating hard disk drive. A bit like flash memory cards. An SSD is generally faster, and that's why boot times are reduced. Installing an SSD in your current machine may speed it up. But then you have the problem of transferring your data over, and possibly having to reinstall the system. I personally would go for a new machine, with an SSD, if what you have now is quite old, and you want to replace it.

Although having said that, as I mentioned above, installing Linux can resurrect an ageing computer, as it's not as resource hungry compared to Windows. You may save yourself a bit of money. Linux of course is completely free to install. You can even 'try before you install' with most Linux variants, by running the O/S from the installation disk. If you like it, you then have the option of installing on the computer's internal hard disk.

Chromebooks run an operating system called ChromeOS. It's based on Linux. But a Chromebook isn't a general purpose machine. It's designed mainly for web browsing, and it does have document editing features, but these are primarily cloud based, not using local storage on the Chromebook.

Upvote 0
Are you looking for a machine to last you 3+ years or just a knock about you don't care if you accidentally drop down the stairs?

For most people the performance bottleneck will be in the disk performance/latency and low memory. Several years ago around the holidays (I think they have a similar deal going on now) Dell offered a basic Windows Laptop for around $200 U.S. It came with 2GB of RAM and a 500GB mechanical hard disk that operated at glacial speeds. I immediately swapped out both the RAM and hard drive for a 4GB SODIMM (only one slot, but what do you want for a cheap Dell?) and a 500 GB SSD. That was another $100. So, for $300 i have a very respectable laptop that dual boots Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10 1809 and runs both pretty well.

If you do go with an SSD as an extra and not built into the original machine, make sure you go with a brand that includes a free cloning utility. I know Crucial SSD's come with a version of Acronis True Image and Seagate drives have DiskWizard (which includes Acronis cloning as well) so you can easily swap a mechanical disk for an SSD.

Upvote 0
I don't know that you can even buy a 2GB laptop anymore. Most of the low-end machines I see start at 4GB, which can run Windows 10, but I'd recommend 8GB at least if you are doing anything beyond light office apps, email and web surfing.

I recommend at least 12GB RAM if you're trying to compile and/or build anything (like ROMs). Yes, you can get by with 8GB RAM to just build Nougat but you now have to do a bunch of special crap to avoid oom (Out Of Memory) errors,Like adding a massive SWAP partition and ccache reserves.. 16GB is fast becoming the new 'norm' of needed specs since the introduction of Oreo.. I swear I can build a Nougat ROM in like 1.5 hrs and Oreo takes up to like 4hrs avg and I'm sitting at 16GB RAM and an OverClockable processor (that locks to performance when desired) atm. I was tripping on the difference. So.. my advice is 12-16GB minimum if you're gonna compile/build anything for Android cuz in the next OS or two, it'll quickly become insufficient.

Edit: one last thing.. of you desire hyperthreading in a PC, stay away from 9th gen (and possibly 8th gen)Intel processors as Intel has disabled HyperThreading in everything except their most expensive boards (shame on you, Intel !!).

Upvote 0
Android doesn't run natively on a laptop. It's an operating system designed for mobile devices. You can run an Android emulator, on top of an existing O/S.

If boot time is an issue, then consider a SSD. My Ubuntu laptop boots up in seconds.

You may also want to consider a Linux based system? There's none of the constant reboots you get with a Windows system, when applications are updated. In fact the system will stay running for weeks continuously.
If you do need to run a Windows O/S for certain applications, you can always do that in a virtual machine.

My current laptop is an 8 year old machine, running Ubuntu 16.04, with a 500GB SSD. It boots in under 10 seconds, to the login prompt, from a cold start.
BRO JUST REcOMMEND him an alienware laptop he will compile rom
:) or.he should use a virtual laptop either GCP or so or just upgrade to ssd to be using for rom building because i build and port roms .a dev in that

Upvote 0
BRO JUST REcOMMEND him an alienware laptop he will compile rom
:) or.he should use a virtual laptop either GCP or so or just upgrade to ssd to be using for rom building because i build and port roms .a dev in that

The OP was asking about alternatives to Windows because she is on a budget ... trying to get the most bang for her buck .. and was asking a question. She's not asking how to kludge some monstrosity together to force a PC to run Android. Only because she's already got Android on her phone and tablet, a PC would be the next logical move.

A lot of people don't know the differences between Android and Chrome OS, or Linux and Windows, for that matter. More importantly many of them don't really want to know. They just want some basic direction. Let's try to keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
The OP was asking about alternatives to Windows because she is on a budget ... trying to get the most bang for her buck .. and was asking a question. She's not asking how to kludge some monstrosity together to force a PC to run Android. On;y because she's already got Android on her phone and tablet, a PC would be the next logical move.

A lot of people don't know the differences between Android and Chrome OS, or Linux and Windows, for that matter. More importantly amny of them don't really want to know. They just want some basic direction. Let's try to keep that in mind.
OH.if shes on a budget there is always a laptop.for her size and depending what she is using the laptop.to do

Upvote 0
I think a chromebook would be a good option...
They do work offline.. but at home if you have good wifi coverage, they are even better.

You need to check.. but some of them now will also run android apps... so you can use the same apps on your phone and chromebook. Touchscreens and flipable formats are available too.

Google Docs or Office365 should take care of standard spreadsheet stuff... but if you are an excel poweruser they might not be as fully featured.. especially if you have written a chunk of VBA macros etc..

I picked one at random... so i this isn't a recommendation.. but it seems to be in your price-range... and the review gives some idea as to what its strengths and weaknesses are.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/chromebooks/lenovo-500e-chromebook-review-3680324/

Upvote 0
I think a chromebook would be a good option...
They do work offline.. but at home if you have good wifi coverage, they are even better.

You need to check.. but some of them now will also run android apps... so you can use the same apps on your phone and chromebook. Touchscreens and flipable formats are available too.

Google Docs or Office365 should take care of standard spreadsheet stuff... but if you are an excel poweruser they might not be as fully featured.. especially if you have written a chunk of VBA macros etc..

I picked one at random... so i this isn't a recommendation.. but it seems to be in your price-range... and the review gives some idea as to what its strengths and weaknesses are.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/chromebooks/lenovo-500e-chromebook-review-3680324/

What a great find. Didn't realise that Chromebooks had the capability of running Android apps!
Fits the OP's budget perfectly too.

Upvote 0
@KathyJM

If you are considering a chromebook (which technically isn't a true android device.. but in the real world its the closest thing)....

I've found this article which is good background reading about if it is the right option for you...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/laptop/best-chromebook-3528995/

and has some suggested models that fit comfortably in your price range.

On the windows side... I'd look at the Dell Website.. Dell Price very competitively, so I always use them as a benchmark when looking for windows machines... they are the deal that others have to beat (either in price or specification)

Upvote 0
What a great find. Didn't realise that Chromebooks had the capability of running Android apps!
Fits the OP's budget perfectly too.

Some do.. and some don't... so it is something that you really need to check before you buy that model...

I very nearly went the chromebook route a couple of years ago.. but in the end i didn't (due to me being able to get hold of a very cheap deal on a few laptops)

The other benefit of them, is they are largely without any of the windows configuation/driver/blue screen issues.. they will save all their data in the cloud and update themselves automatically...
and if it all does go wrong a full 'rebuild/reload' which would take a few hours in windows, can be done in minutes...

Upvote 0
Some do.. and some don't... so it is something that you really need to check before you buy that model...

I very nearly went the chromebook route a couple of years ago.. but in the end i didn't (due to me being able to get hold of a very cheap deal on a few laptops)

The other benefit of them, is they are largely without any of the windows configuation/driver/blue screen issues.. they will save all their data in the cloud and update themselves automatically...
and if it all does go wrong a full 'rebuild/reload' which would take a few hours in windows, can be done in minutes...
wow thats really frustrating

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Months...years...decades, actually. If not for occasionally installing hardware, or a power failure, Linux is meant to run 24/7 with no downtime.

True, but possibly unnecessary. Linux has native equivalents for many proprietary applications; I only use Linux--and have for many years. The ONLY window$ program I 'needed' :pwas Roller Coaster Tycoon--which actually ran smoother and faster via wine than on an identical window$ box.

:D Yep, sounds about right!
Although having said that, as I mentioned above, installing Linux can resurrect an ageing computer, as it's not as resource hungry compared to Windows. You may save yourself a bit of money. Linux of course is completely free to install. You can even 'try before you install' with most Linux variants, by running the O/S from the installation disk. If you like it, you then have the option of installing on the computer's internal hard disk.
Excellent suggestions.

Chromebooks run an operating system called ChromeOS. It's based on Linux. But a Chromebook isn't a general purpose machine. It's designed mainly for web browsing, and it does have document editing features, but these are primarily cloud based, not using local storage on the Chromebook.
Not exactly! At least not for me. When I ordered my Acer Chromebook, I had them add a 320GB hard drive. When it arrived, I tried using its idea of Linux, and its cloud-based...everything. I didn't like it at all! I quickly installed my favorite Linux distro, Kubuntu and all my normal programs on its hard drive. So now it's just another one of my fully functioning Linux computers--I run [from its hard drive] everything from the GIMP to LibreOffice (spreadsheets, documents, etc.) to games, saving their files locally, not in the cloud.

If anyone has any Linux questions or comments, please join us on the Computer board in its Linux thread.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones