1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support contact pictures always default to Facebook pic

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BradHP, Jun 11, 2010.

1. BradHP

BradHP Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    So, I love that I can link all my contacts to their Facebook profiles, but here's my issue. I have a different picture of my wife that I want to use as her caller ID. I added that picture to her contact, in "People" and it shows the small thumbnail on top when I go to "Edit Contact". I save after adding the pic and save again at the bottom of the edit screen, but it always shows her Facebook profile pic in the contact list and when she calls. The only way to get the other pic is to unlink her FB from the contact. Is it always going to do this as long as it's linked to FB, or is there a way to get the other pic assigned to her caller ID?

Advertisement

2. JMac202

JMac202 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    I think its actually Friend Stream doing this. You can still have it linked and use your own pic. My Hero didnt have Friend Stream but linked Facebook to the contact.

Disable Friendstream and see if that works for you. It did for me.

3. vlkswagn

vlkswagn Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Hilo, HI
    I was wondering how to do this myself. Finally, I figured it out. Go to people, find the contact with the picture you want to change and click on it. Then click menu>edit. If you click on the photo, you should get a pop-up menu with options for displaying the fb photo or another photo (like one from your device). Hope this helps!

danwill17 and BradHP like this.
  4. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    ChiTown
    yeah, there's a way to do this w/o disabling friendstream. i can't tell you exactly now as my phone is charging, but it's similar to the steps above. go into the person's profile in the "people" app. you either click on her name or the picture, and it'll bring you to another page where it shows the fb picture, and an arrow directly next to it. click on that arrow, and there will be thumbnail views of any other pictures of this person you can select as the default pic.

if you can't find it this way, let me know and i'll get on my phone later and figure out the exact steps.

BradHP likes this.
  5. BradHP

BradHP Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Thanks vlkswagn and mbctrain! Mine's still off right now from charging overnight, but I'll try that once I get it on again.

I tried disabling Friendstream and it unsyched with all of my contacts, so some people had no info at all. Right now I just unlinked my wife from FB so the right picture would show. I want to keep her FB accessible since she spends so much damn time on it while I'm at work.

6. Sim-X

Sim-X Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    grrrr, I can't seem to get this to stick. Every time the phone re-syncs itself it will change it back to the facebook picture. Very annoying - any work arounds?

Seems the only way is to unlink the contact from facebook otherwise when the phone goes to re-sync with facebook it defaults back to the FB photo.

7. thaprinze

thaprinze Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Software Quality Analyst
    Denver, CO
    I've had the same problem as Sim-X. Every time you select a non-facebook pic, it's a temporary fix. Before you know it, you're back to using the Facebook pics. Very annoying.

8. BradHP

BradHP Newbie
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    I did exactly as vlkswagn said, and mine stuck. Got the picture I want and still have my contacts linked to FB.

Tags: