1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contacts being added to my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alhenderson, May 27, 2011.

1. alhenderson

alhenderson Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Northampton, UK
    Afternoon All,

For some reason, I was looking at my contacts list on my Desire HD and found a whole load of contacts (consisting of just emails) which were presumably added by Gmail whenever I emailed people who were not already contacts. These offending contacts were not synched with my Gmail contacts on the web.

I found a setting on Gmail on the web to stop Gmail from automatically creating contacts (previously it was) - but if this was what caused the contacts I have just deleted surely they would also appear on my Gmail contacts on the web?

Its not the end of the world but I've just spent ages deleting loads of contacts and don't want them to come back. Couldn't see any settings for Gmail on the phone to stop it adding contacts..

At least some of the contacts were almost certainly created by me emailing from the web rather than the phone. Is it just a case that the GMail website contacts list is hiding these from me, but they are synching to the phone? If that's the case, then the setting I have change in Gmail should solve it, I guess..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Al.

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Under your contacts in Android, click on "Display options" and select "only display contacts with phone numbers".

3. Actual

Actual Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    I also have the same problem with contacts from my Gmail emails appearing in lists on my HTC Desire HD but I only have a People app and I can't find "only display contacts with phone numbers". Where do I find Contacts?

4. alhenderson

alhenderson Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Northampton, UK
    Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid the contacts being created in the first place. I'd rather not filter out the contacts without phone numbers.

Al