• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help contacts & contacts & contacts

Megalomando

Feb 14, 2012
My contact list is growing and growing and growing without me adding to it. I'm finding a huge number of email addresses being added to my contacts without my doing so. I am getting a huge number of email addresses added to the contact list from Gmail groups I get emails from. Somehow any email that comes to my phone through Gmail gets added to my contact list and most of these are from forums I get emails from. I have personally added around 40 contacts myself but today I counted 234 contacts!

WTF is up with this? I can't seem to find how to stop this phone from automatically adding contacts. If YOU emailed me you'd automatically be added to my contact list without my doing so.

Help...

Thanks

Settings > Accounts & Sync; uncheck Auto-sync box; then go back to home page

Go into your Contacts; hit the menu button > display options; check "only contacts with phones" (if that's what you want); towards the bottom of screen, select your google account. The drop down shows you everything that is being displayed in your Contacts. I personally only have the "My Contacts" one checked, but you may have more. Uncheck any applicable ones.

Also, if you have Facebook/Twitter synced, then those are probably coming up in your contacts. From the screen I mentioned above, select your Facebook/Twitter account(s) and uncheck anything you don't want in your contacts.

Reactions: Megalomando
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones