• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Convince me not to go out and buy the new itouch!

blackbook88

Nov 16, 2009
I have a droid x and love it as a phone and web browser. But at the apple the store the itouch is just so nice. Its smooth and perfect for movies and music. Should I get that and carry two devices one for multimedia and the droidx for other? Can I make my X a better multimedia device? Talk me out of getting an itouch!
Thanks PEACE!

Personally, I think you should get an iPod Touch. It's a better music player, and there are lots of games you can't get on Android, not to mention all of the accessories. I have a Droid X because it's a better phone, but I had an iPod Touch for quite a while and loved using it as my primary music player and for some of the games. I sold it because I didn't want to carry around two big devices anymore and have an iPod Nano now to carry around with my X.

Upvote 0
I use my DX as a portable music and video system and I find it works great for my needs - I don't want to have another box in my pocket - and the money I don't have to spend on one also works for me. I use Mortplayer (free from the Android Market) which allows me to create custom playlist folders for a backup if I am DJing and my Mac goes out on me - and it also works just fine as an ipod for cranking tunes.

I've loaded several movies on my DX to watch during flights, etc. and it works great for that as well - the 4.3" screen is fantastic for video and pretty easy on my eyes. This is only my opinion, but I don't need an expensive additional player like an ipod - the DX meets all my music/video entertainment needs in one unit that easily fits in one pocket. Hell, its even an awesome GPS!

You'll probably get all kinds of different opinions on what people think - try out using the DX alone and also borrow an ipod and try them out as a combination and see what works best for you :)

Upvote 0
Let me just start by saying that I used to have a first gen ipod touch but I sold it literally the day after I got my X. And I really dont miss it a bit.

For music and video I think the X is perfect. You can't get much better than a 4.3'' screen for portable videos. And its perfectly capable as a music player. I don't see how people say an ipod is that much better than the X for music. I have a couple hundred songs stored on my X, along with about 3 movies, and of course Pandora, and I'm content with it.

Games are a different story, however. Honestly the only advantage that apple devices have over android is the itunes market. It certainly has its flaws, but the games are quite impressive.

So I think the question is, can you live without the games on the itunes market? I have a Nintendo DS for my portable gaming and combined with my X its good enough for me. Also remember that games on the itunes market can be fairly expensive for what you get, and the prices will add up.

Having said that, I think that having the X and an ipod touch is a bit excessive. I personally would have either a dumb phone for calls and an ipod touch for everything else, or only have a droid X. If you can afford it with no problem, then why not? But if you can find a better use for that $200 then I would say its not worth it.

Upvote 0
Convince you???

If you get the apple, we will kill this kitty cat.

gun_cat.jpg

Convinced?

Upvote 0
Wow, I couldn't see possibly wanting to do that.

Maybe there's a small handful of apps/games that I'd want on iOS that I can't get on Android.

I don't listen to music that much, but there are some great Android music apps that should do most anything you can do on iOS.

Movies play great on the DX. How would that be any better at all on iOS?

If you got $300 to burn and don't care about carrying 2 devices around, I guess go for it.

Upvote 0
The only reason i would get an ipod touch would be so i could save on battery life on my phone. if you have a charger handy at all times, the DX will do just fine, i fnot better than the ipod touch. download power amp from the market, full EQ and an interface that is similar to the touch's. watching movies on the X is amazing, not that the ipod is bad by any means, but that extra .8" really helps. if you listen to music constantly and are on the go, the touch is not a bad buy (i would suggest a zune HD tho personally) but if you are stuck behind a desk all day with wall outlets around you, pick up the Multimedia dock, and some bluetooth headphones and call it a day. i sit at a computer for 8 hours a day, so this is the method i use. my ipod touch is on ebay, my zune HD (which i LOVED dearly) is already sold. i have 1,000+ songs and 3 full length movies on the SD card, plus all the internet streaming i could ever want, and i leave work with 100% battery every single day.

Upvote 0
(pet peeve of mine, calling an "iPod Touch" an "iTouch")

For music (and podcasts) I carry (and use in my car) a Sansa Fuze MP3 player. It's cheap so I don't care if it gets beat-up (I average a new Sandisk MP3 player about every 1.5 years). It is also tiny, way easier to operate while driving, and works better for my Rhapsody subscription than my phone.

While redundant in functionality with my phone, the dedicated form of the Sansa make it worth having both. Plus it super cheap -- refurbed , < 20$ I think?

For me, an iPod Touch wouldn't have any of these advantages. I think you should be asking if you should get an iPhone.

Upvote 0
(pet peeve of mine, calling an "iPod Touch" an "iTouch")

For music (and podcasts) I carry (and use in my car) a Sansa Fuze MP3 player. It's cheap so I don't care if it gets beat-up (I average a new Sandisk MP3 player about every 1.5 years). It is also tiny, way easier to operate while driving, and works better for my Rhapsody subscription than my phone.

While redundant in functionality with my phone, the dedicated form of the Sansa make it worth having both. Plus it super cheap -- refurbed , < 20$ I think?

For me, an iPod Touch wouldn't have any of these advantages. I think you should be asking if you should get an iPhone.
+1 on the sansa, I got an 8 gb one new for $60 and put a 16 gb SD card in it. I use that for work and at night, works great with rhapsody and if I hear something I want to lookup on rhapsody right away I pull out my phone and 50/50 chance it'll play lol. I have way to much music to use my phone. I've never understood how people can waste the kinds of money they do on ipods, I was trying to put music on my nieces and it was a pita, it is so limited in formats it'll play, my sansa plays whatever file I put on it.

Upvote 0
Wow, how funny it is how similar we DX'ers are. I too have an 8 gig Sandisk player in my car that I have hooked up directly to my head unit. This way I can always refresh my music list and take it with me to listen to in my car. And the fact that it does get abused is exactly why I've never invested in a high end MP3 player to get jostled around in my car.

As for the iPod Touch, my son has a gen 3 version and I must say it is a smashing device forsure. So much so that I find myself going, "wow, if only this were a phone".....

Since I've played with that and never an iPhone at all, I've always just given Apple credit that their phone is probably just as sleek and charming. Therefore, anyone who says they prefer an iPhone over a DX or any other Android device I simply tell them, "enjoy your iPhone", because honestly, I could give a hoot what anyone else wants to spend their money on.

I have no sponsor deal with Google in which I have to tell everyone I see/talk to that they HAVE to buy an Android or they can't be my friend anymore. Obviously I'm happy with my DX and Android, but there are those whom are just as happy with their iPod Touch/iPhone's, and that's just fine with me.

If you wish to purchase an iPod Touch, you have my blessing. I don't personally like it enough to go out and spend $300 bucks on something that my phone already does for me. I'm happy with MixZing, but I don't know THAT much about the App Store or iTunes or anything Apple to know the difference really. I have heard that bTunes is very similar to iTunes. But I wouldn't know because I've never played with either.

Good luck in your choice.

Upvote 0
I used to have an Ipod Touch and I sold it to buy my OG Droid, and never looked back. Now with my Droid X I still dont feel the need for an Ipod Touch. Games on my Droid X are fine for me because I dont really play games much, and Madden 11 is all I need to keep my entertained. As for movies, what could be better than a 4.3" screen? And I use Doubletwist for my music, with the desktop client and BAM you have an Ipod Touch!

Upvote 0
The ONLY upside an Ipod Touch will have over a Droid X is the battery life when listening to music. They are probably on par for video and gaming battery use, but the Ipod will conserve more battery while playing music. If that's a crucial thing for you, buy one. If not don't buy one.

I have a 4th Gen 32gb Ipod touch for my wife, and while it is a great device there is nothing it can do that my Droid X cannot do better.

EDIT: This is strictly my opinion.

Upvote 0
I completely understand where you're coming from, OP, as I recently was considering getting an iPod Touch as well to take to the gym. I came from an iPhone and the DX just wasn't cutting it for me in terms of a mp3 player.

I then found an app called "Poweramp" and that changed my mind AND saved me a lot of money. This player is very easy to use and I love the setup. Not to mention I can set it up as a widget in various sizes as well. There are 2 versions in market, one free and one paid. I'd recommend giving the free one a shot and see how you feel about an iPod Touch after that :)

Upvote 0
I think the DX is a great music and movie player, you might need to make a few adjustments here and there but nothing major. However I tell people with iphones this all the time and do it myself. So I guess this is advice for anyone with a smartphone device.

Get a cheap simple dedicated music player if you feel you must have one. I for example use an 8gb creative Zen. No it doesn't play games, I have the DX for that. no it doesn't surf over wifi, I have the Dx for that. What it does smashingly? Plays smurfin tunes with excellent sound quality (in fact I have never heard a better MP3 player to compare its sound quality to, iwhatever or samsung or microsoft be damned).

And it lasts close to 14 hours per charge, is light weight, will play any format, has an FM radio (yes I know my DX has that too, but Iphones don't) and does play movies with a full color screen. OH and more importantly, while waiting at the airport, or on a road trip it saves the battery of my PHONE so that I can USE IT as a PHONE is I ever need to.

This is something I have to impress on my friends that have lemming devices, sorry Iphones that get off the plane when they come to visit and basically say. hey I'm here, can't talk now phone about to die.

either way good luck. I do think you should have a dedicated device or at least a spare DX battery (another thing Iphones can't do, change batteries quickly and without tools).

If you have to buy one I love the creative products but I bought based on sound quality.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones