• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Copilot & Tomtom are not going to be happy.

Upvote 0
Using a "SatNav" which needs to be always connected will be no good. You need to have the maps on the device, especially when travelling by car outside of a City/3G area...

Google maps in map mode works perfectly well over edge, I have used it for 100s of miles without being let down. If you want to use satellite view then yes, you do need 3g but I prefer map mode for navigation anyway.

Upvote 0
Using a "SatNav" which needs to be always connected will be no good. You need to have the maps on the device, especially when travelling by car outside of a City/3G area...

I agree. While it is nice to have this feature available around city areas for occasional use, I use GPS navigation in areas where there are no cell towers for ANY service :rolleyes: --- so when you are in the boonies, only a dedicated GPS navigator receiver (full maps on board) will work. My Garmin Nuvi will continue to fill that role.

But still nice to have that feature if you were to need it on occasion. It is already amazing what they have packed into the Hero already :D

Upvote 0
This won't be a replacement for my stand-alone TomTom, but it will be nice for when I travel & am in a rental car. Most places I visit on business are in populated areas with decent data signals.

I would prefer to have an Android solution with the maps loaded on my microSD card, but for free I can live without it :)

Exactly. This is a good example of a perfect application of the full navigation service. Traveling, and you don't have your own vehicle. It is amazing what you have in such a small device. :D

Upvote 0
It does look good but as others have said I'm struggling to see how it can be much use.

Firstly, it depends on phone reception - never mind the wilds of Scotland, Orange have patches of no reception on major arterial routes into London! Not the sort of place you want to be without satnav...

Also - using GPS and having the screen on and pulling down large amounts of data is going to nuke the battery. Even if running from the ciggie lighter, if I was on the phone on my old TyTN 2 while using GPS, it would actually discharge!

Finally, you are going to go through your Orange 500MB-more-than-you-can-ever-need data bundle very very quickly indeed - could be expensive...

I think I will stick with CoPilot for now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones