• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Copying photos on Galaxy Tab over to Linux machine

darenw

Lurker
Apr 25, 2012
I have a new Galaxy 7.0 Plus with which I took a bunch of photos. I'd like to copy the photos over USB to my desktop computer, which runs Ubuntu (sort of, it's been customized and tweaked like crazy.) From many online source, I see I can't expect to see the tab as USB mass storage.

I know of mtp-tools, installed it, but no idea how to get it to work. Sometimes mtp-detect will pour out extensive info, but only at most one time in a row.

I also know how to use adb, and it actually works, but I don't see where camera image files are kept in the tab's file system. Some sources say /mnt/sdcard (even if there's no actual sd card) but i see nothing at all in /mnt.

Much advice I find out there applies only to Samsung's cell phones, or older versions of things, or who knows what. Hours have been spent trying to get the photos over with no luck.

So, what is the easiest no-nonsense way to get those camera image files over to my linux desktop machine?

I have also bought a Galaxy Tab 7 recently, and I have the same problem to recover photos to my PC. The easiest way I have found so far is to copy the photos to a memory card in the Galaxy. Then I remove the card and stick it into a card reader. Ubuntu then reads the card without a problem. I cut the photos and paste them into a suitable directory. :)

I have downloaded MTP, but without success so far in connecting to the Galaxy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones