• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Could my HTC actually be hacked?!?!?!

So by now most people are aware of the IQTest Hack. If not, it's a common hack. Usually you get it bc you clicked on a link you shouldn't have. Suddenly your contacts all start receiving a message from "you" that is similar to the following...

A says:
hi are you there?
B says:
hey, yeah i am
A says:
I just took an IQ quiz
B says:
uh
A says:
I was better than I am! I scored 111
B says:
lol, i think your msn might have a virus >>;
A says:
lol no its me
B says:
lol, okay
just such a random thing to bring up
A says:
you should see if you can do better than me, (same url here)
B says:
lol, i don't have time, i'm preparing to leave for the airport
A says:
I bet you cant haha
B says:
okay, your msn/yahoo/aol definitely has a virus
A says (11:31 AM):
take it now while Im in the shower and tell me your score later

So here's my issue....
I use eBuddy on my HTC Android. It is the ONLY way that I have logged into Yahoo IM in more than 5 years. I rarely even log on. And I have NEVER clicked on any link within that program (therefore within yahoo IM) And yet somehow, ALL of my contacts were contacted by "me" this morning with a similar conversation (only this jerk hacker said I'd give them $20 if they could beat me)

So, what does that mean? I've already changed my yahoo password. But if I've never clicked on a link to give them access, how did they get in in the first place? Did they hack my phone? My Yahoo account? Or eBuddy?

Secondly, I've been reading that when you are the victim of this hack, it's not just the messenger client that is affected, but your PC as well and that you should at least change your password AND run anti-Malware.... but this is my PHONE. Could a hacker have actually hacked into my cell phone?
How can I tell? What do I do? I have TONS of private info stored on my phone so I'm stressing here!

TIA!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones