• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Create Ringtone for a Contact

Fulltime Traveler

Dec 27, 2009
Oregon coast
I'm new to the Bionic. On my Droid Eris, I could use the included Voice Recorder app to record something, then go to specific contact and select what I had recorded as the ringtone for that contact.

Is there a way to do that with the Bionic, preferably without downloading an app? There seems to be no Voice Recorder app bundled with it, and the two I downloaded don't seem to save anything in a format that the Bionic recognizes as a candidate for ringtonitude.

One hurdle is that when I try to change the ringtone on a contact the only choices I get are "Android System" and "Zedge ringtones".

Thanks.

Corrected Response

Create ... use an application on your PC to create the voice recording and transfer it to your Bionic. The article at ... Add MP3 Ringtones to the Bionic ... describes the process.

Set ... open the Dialer
Select Contacts
Select the Contact of interest
Go to Settings | Options | Ringtone
(Settings is the left-most button at the bottom of the screen)
Select the ringtone to associate with that contact

The free version of Voice Recorder (from the Market) (referenced in the initial response) does not save the recording as an .mp3 (the paid version of Voice Recorder apparently does).

... Thom

Reactions: doogald
Upvote 0
Thom:

Under "All Apps", I have nothing between "Voice Command" and "Voice Search".

I tried downloading an app named "Voice Recorder" from the market, but it didn't help. It stores it's recordings in a folder named com.tokasiki.android.voicerecorder. They have a .3gp extension. They didn't show up when I try to change a ringtone for a contact. I still have only "Android System" and "Zedge ringtones" options when I change a contact's ringtone.

I have since deleted, then reinstalled that app. It now appears in the app list where the bundled Voice Recorder app should be.

Where's my bundled Voice Recorder? Could I have deleted it?

Upvote 0
Thom:

I tried downloading an app named "Voice Recorder" from the market, but it didn't help. It stores it's recordings in a folder named com.tokasiki.android.voicerecorder. They have a .3gp extension. They didn't show up when I try to change a ringtone for a contact. I still have only "Android System" and "Zedge ringtones" options when I change a contact's ringtone.

I have since deleted, then reinstalled that app. It now appears in the app list where the bundled Voice Recorder app should be.

No ... I was confused ... sorry ... I had it download from the Market for another problem a while back .

I can find no easy way to save the recording in the system list so it can then be selected for the contact.

All that should be needed is to create an .mp3 file and that can be added to the ringtone list.

Is sent a sample from Voice Recorder to my PC e-mail account and it was a .3gp file that Media Player does not recognize.

I have a .mp3 file in my ringtone list that was NOT created by Voice Recorder. It is available for assignment to an incoming phone call to a specific contact.

The purchase version of Voice Recorder apparently supports conversion to .mp3 (ouch).

If you have a PC available, I suggest you create the .mp3 file on the PC and then transfer it to the Bionic. The message at ... Add MP3 Ringtones to the Bionic ... tells you how to add it to the lists in question so it would be listed for selection.

(Sorry about my initial response ... I was too optimistic.)

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thom:

On my phone it's called Tape Machine. Make your recording. Check the recording to make sure it is OK. It will be in a folder on the Tape Machine, select it and you will have the option to share it. I sent it to my Gmail. Open your Gmail and download it to your Music app. Go to your Music app, find it, long press on it and you will have to option to save it as a Phone Ringtone etc. It might seem to be a lot of steps but it is the only way I have found other than connecting your phone to your computer and moving the file to the ringtone and/or notification folder. Tape Machine also gives you the option to convert your file to an mp3, wav file etc. You should set your default settings so you won't have to do any conversions.

You can also use an app called Mobile 17. I've used it for years before it was an app and long before I had a smartphone. I like it because you can edit the sections you want to use etc. The phone app works really well.

I have lots of personalized ringtones and notifications, something that my non-Android friends envy. It's one reason I prefer an Android phone.

And I am not a computer nor phone geek. I don't understand a lot of posts that talk about rooting your phone etc. I am patient and like to troubleshoot and learn how to operate my phone. Anybody can do this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones