• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Current Sprint HTC Hero Owner...

I was the biggest anti-Evo person out there when I had my Hero. After fighting with Sprint over one problem after another with my Hero I was desperate to upgrade & the only thing available that appealed to me at all was the Evo. While I had no doubts the Evo was a good phone, I didn't like the size of it. That was probably my biggest (haha) issue with it. Battery life being a close second. But as I said, I was desperate to get rid of my Hero. Now that I have the Evo I'm in LOOOOOOOOVE!!!! I have mixed feelings now about the size. I don't like that it's so big when I'm holding it or trying to wedge it into my pocket but I absolutely love the screen size. The phone itself is so much more responsive than the Hero was. As prev posters said, it can hold many more apps than the Hero AND you can save them on your SD card. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Hero. But the Evo is like the Hero all grown up! I have no complaints about the Evo as a functioning device. Don't get me started about the 8mp camera....OHHHHH YEAAAAAH!! It has a flash....BONUS!! And a front-facing camera that my 4 yr old nephew can entertain himself for hours with.
I would highly recommend the Evo as an upgrade from the Hero, IF you like the virtual keyboard.

Upvote 0
Please convince me to upgrade to the EVO.

I have had the original SERO for sprint that I was paying $30/month + 25% off. Unlimited Data/Text was included. However, I was never happy with any of the phones that I used, and I have used at least 10 different phones. While I had any phone I constantly found my self looking for a different phone. I personally liked having a personal keyboard on the phone so at first I did not even wanted to give EVO a try, + on top of that I did not want to pay $10 extra for the Data for EVO. Eventually, I gave in and replaced my blackberry 9650 with EVO. The sales person at sprint told me that a lot of BB users come back after using EVO for few days, and he warned me about the battery life on EVO, and that is not even close to the BB.

So, now I had to deal with Virtual Keyboard and Battery life, but, the good news is EVO options and the way you can use the phone outweigh the cons of the battery, and I say the battery only because over time you get used to the virtual keyboard that it no longer is a problem.

With this being said and that I was constantly on Sprint and on different forums looking what is the next phone coming out so that I can buy it and test i, once I got EVO, that was it, I did not go on Sprint website to look for another phone. EVO is a phone and more...This phone/pda makes life soo much easier.

I have rooted my EVO so that I can have tethering via wireless for my Laptop when I am on the go and that is the pretty much only thing that I did to the EVO, other then that all is STOCK.

I highly recommend the EVO.

Upvote 0
i am trading in my beloved Hero for a new evo with addtl cash and cannot wait
i literally use my phone for internet/texting more than calling

i hear u can go to sprint store to transfer apps for free???
is this true cuz i have lots of paid apps on my hero

no.. not at sprint store...

1. go to appbrain.com. it can sync your apps for you.

2. all of your purchased apps from the android market are tied to your google mail account. so.. once you log in to your new evo... then login to your google account. you can start to load them again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones